Discuss More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've noticed across multiple devices in the last few days what seems to be an increase in advertising intensity. So much so on the mobile that I had to install a different ad blocker otherwise the forum was basically unusable, the ads completely drowning out the content. If it is a real change and not a result of my browsers being updated etc, then my impression is that it is counterproductive.

I am old and living on a very small pension. I signed up so I could discuss with fellow electricians. I have low vision so the number of ads overwhelm me. I'm sure @Dan is paid by the ads and anyway...
The sign on the door says
Electricians Forum
Electrical Advice for Free - Talk electrics with fellow electricians on ElectriciansForums.net, the independent electrical advice website and forum...

I'm middle aged and try to get by on whatever I can earn by working long hours day and night. I signed up so I could learn from electricians and frequently ask questions that some people might find annoying.

I understand the issue with ads and don't like encountering them anywhere online, but was simply pointing out that 'esteemed' members are not immune to them as you had stated. I don't know exactly what the esteemed badge means, but it has nothing to do with privilege and really shouldn't be attached to my profile.

I'm middle aged and try to get by on whatever I can earn by working long hours day and night. I signed up so I could learn from electricians and frequently ask questions that some people might find annoying.

I understand the issue with ads and don't like encountering them anywhere online, but was simply pointing out that 'esteemed' members are not immune to them as you had stated. I don't know exactly what the esteemed badge means, but it has nothing to do with privilege and really shouldn't be attached to my profile.

I disagree. I think you bring a lot to the forum - there have been some good discussions and points raised.

Copy of post from Dan on Esteemed badge available:

"Then you'll need to have a post per like ratio of 1:1.

So if you have 1000 posts, those posts need to have an average over them all of 1000. And then the tag will be applied within the hour. It runs every hour or so to check changes.

Out of the 6 'like' options we have, the first three on the left (so the heart and the laughing one) count as positive likes (or reactions). And the three on the right are neutral. Rather than taking anything away. I think that could be abused too easily."

Worth the esteemed badge just for using words like proponderance!

Then I should lose it for incorrectly spelling the word!

preponderance

Meant to add that I look forward to learning from @David Anthony and am pleased that he got set up with an adblocker to make life a bit easier. The wealth and diversity of opinions here often make for great reading.

Copy of post from Dan on Esteemed badge available:

"Then you'll need to have a post per like ratio of 1:1.

So if you have 1000 posts, those posts need to have an average over them all of 1000. And then the tag will be applied within the hour. It runs every hour or so to check changes.

Out of the 6 'like' options we have, the first three on the left (so the heart and the laughing one) count as positive likes (or reactions). And the three on the right are neutral. Rather than taking anything away. I think that could be abused too easily."

I'm sure I got a message saying several members had been moved to esteemed by decision of a moderator. Maybe not. Not to worry either way.

I have plenty to say on many topics, but on the subject of electricity my knowledge is exceptionally limited - hence the proponderance of questions among my comments ?
Don't try to be too clever with your English, just because you're leccy lacking..........your spelling's lacking, too... it's 'prep'.?
I've got 'esteam coming out of my ears'.

Then I should lose it for incorrectly spelling the word!

preponderance

Meant to add that I look forward to learning from @David Anthony and am pleased that he got set up with an adblocker to make life a bit easier. The wealth and diversity of opinions here often make for great reading.
it's OK. buzz has just announced his new online course for nvq in spelling. send him $1000 in bitcoin space credits and you're guaranteed a pass.

Reply to More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net