Discuss Motor power factor correction in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

Motor power factor correction
I’ve been playing around in Excel again. If any one wants a copy of this sheet send me a PM. I’ll also send the updated FLC sheet as well.
A quick note about the PF sheet, for multiple motors you’ll have to decide when during the start up of a group of drives the group PF kicks in. it’s not good practice for it to come in on initial start up.

Just as an aside, years ago I’d installed 2 new MCC panels. Got a phone call from the site engineer “there’s a couple of parcels for you in the loading bay”. Intrigued I went to collect them, 2 oil filled 50 & 60 KVAR capacitors that looked like Noah had forgotten to put them on the ark. So they got cobbled in to the system.
Later I asked him how he calculated the rating, “I didn’t, I found them in the back of the stores”. I’ve just used the spreadsheet, he was 2% out!

Can somebody give sizes of capacitors needed for PFC and starting of 3phase induction motors of various sizes(kw/rpm/design code).At least give a link.

Hi

Can somebody help me , I've finish my L2 electrical intallation , and and in June i'll finish L3 , I just got pass 17edit 2008 new amendement (2011), plus , I've just started an evening 2391 T&I course (will finish in 8weeks time ) ,

I want to do my NVQ , can you help ?

Best Reguards

As the no load current varies from manufacturer to manufacturer the size of capacitor for any motor(kw/speed/design code etc)should be obtained from the manufacturer. Some capacitor manufacturers too give a chart/table to select proper rating of capacitor. I don't know whether there is a code/regulation(BS/IEC/NEC/VDE/NEMA etc) on this matter.

Reply to Motor power factor correction in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net