Discuss Moving CU, meter and fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drinky

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1930,s house I am renovating and I would like to get the CU, meter and incoming 100A fuse all moved from their current position on an internal wall at bottom of stairway which is only used to support it, 90 degrees to a wall next to it. No wiring needs to be extended as plenty there, if anything the tails might be shortened once all moved. Need a new metal CU fitting at same time. The main incoming cable just needs moving about 300 mm no extension needed can be done live. Do I need to get the electricity supplier involved as well as a electrician? And any idea how much all this should cost?
Thanks a lot,
Sam

You need to contact the DNO for your area (not the people that you pay your lekky bill to).
You can find who is your DNO here

Access your DNO's website and find the online form regarding moving the service. The DNO will survey the work and give you a quote. Cost will depend on many factors.

Supply of new and move of the consumer unit needs to be done by a registered electrician. Get recommendations from friends, make sure they are listed here

again
They will survey the work and give you a quote. Cost will depend on many factors including confirming that the existing wiring meets todays regulations and is useable.

Western Power are the District Network Operator for Worcester. If you have an old service head they may well move it for free when they replace it. If not go online and fill out the form. They have a chat-box open ever day if you need to ask them anything. There are well over a hundred electricians registered around Worcester as well.

If the incoming cable is 1930's the DNO won't move that whilst it's live, the cable may break up.
If it's PVC then possibly, but depends on whether their standard working procedure allows it.

It doesn't matter if it's 300mm or 300m, the incoming cable should not be moved 'live' as it could be extremely dangerous. Get the local authority involved and ask. It may cost nothing, depending on the state and condition.

As others have pointed out, do not touch the supply cable!

While you will find folk here for whom the main fuse "just falls out" when they need to work on a new unit, firstly they should not as the DNO do not normally allow that, and secondly they would never even try on an old cut-out. The DNO would not either, they would have to make it safe first but de-energising the feed cable further up the supply chain.

To get an idea of what can happen on a typical domestic/light industrial supply you can watch these guys work. They are professionals and have proper arc-flash PPE just for such an incident so probably suffered not much more than brown underpants, but it will give you a feel for what is involved in such a fault:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3yKFLJpnhI

(on my PC sound seels to travel faster than light )
..Opposite of Cool vid.. Educational.
... as mythbusters say --did I loose an eyebrow ---
--AND your sight for a month -as a bare minimum --
cables can be like old folk --Crotchety--

(on my PC sound seels to travel faster than light )

It is the delay on MPEG compression for the video part. These are dash cams, not professional video cameras that keep sound and video in sync!

When we installed some web cameras for CCTV a few years back we changed from MPEG format to a stream of individual JPEGs to try and reduce the 1-2s latency we were seeing to around 0.3s which was usable for real-time monitoring of moving equipment.

But not a match for the old analogue CCTV that was (to human perception) really real-time!

Reply to Moving CU, meter and fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net