Discuss MR16 LED Help please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening,

We are renovating our house and I replaced the halogen MR16 bulbs with Philips LED dimmable version in one of the bedrooms. Once fitted they appeared to work fine. I left them on and came back to the room to find it in darkness and now noting works. (Even tried replacing the old halogen bulbs) The lighting on on a 1 gang 2 way dimmer set up with 2 dimmers operating the lights.

Hopefully someone can help!

Many Thanks
Martin

So, unless you upgraded the transformers for the lights to dimmable LED compatible ones and are using a dimmer capable of driving such things, you could have damaged the transformers or the dimmers.

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

If you want a product recommendation, I generally go for Varilight dimmers and their transformers which are dimmable LED compatible.

Hi Martin - you have just witnessed the unfortunate lack of interworking with lights. If you felt able, you could perhaps replace the dimmer with a switch and see if that works. Take pics of the connections before starting and before that make sure the power is off ....

Thanks Wilko. I’m gutted, the led bulbs were expensive but I thought it would be a good idea and efficient in the long run. To have them fail within 5 minutes!

I’ve tonight treplaced one of the dimmers (the main one) for a varilight one from Screwfix and so far nothing!

You cannot have two dinners operating the same lights, they will conflict with each other and burn out the dimmer, transformer or both. One needs to be a switch only

Dinger809 Thanks that’s interesting, it was like this when we moved in and it worked only ok (did flicker a bit) with the halogen bulbs.

May be worth replacing both switches then and one of them with a ‘normal’ on off switch?

Many Thanks

If you've not got any test gear, it might be worth employing the services of a local (preferably recommended by family/friends/colleague) spark to check the various components to establish exactly what's wrong.

Reply to MR16 LED Help please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock