Discuss Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A couple of Megger 1553s one with Bluetooth feature that was used once.
interested to hear that Megger potentially do an subsidised upgrade to the 1700 series. Does anyone have any idea how to go about it.

Recently got a DiLOG DL9118 MFT as it seemed to be a decent enough unit for the price, but don't have any experience to compare that with, say, the Megger MFTs.

However I still prefer my Megger MIT230 for general bond impedance testing (seems a little quicker / more responsive) but mostly because on insulation it goes up to 1G ohm which I have found useful (not domestic testing).

Does anyone else test their MFT against a Cal-Card and a known RCD? Mine gets a run through and spreadsheet log roughly every month. Give me a heads up as to potential issues.
What a great idea!

I have never seen the CalCard before, but I have some other resistor calibration boxes that are not as convenient to carry/keep with the instrument/etc.

Are we the only country to use MF testers ?

I have spoken to sparks from America , Canada , New Zealand , Australia , Greece and Spain non of which use a MF back home
Yes, they don't get used much here in Australia, most sparkys use a multimeter, and have an IR tester and an RCD tester.
I actually purchased a used Di-Log 9083P which is built in the same carcass as a Seaward PAT tester. But I had to purchase that in UK and have it transported to the colonies.
I quite enjoy using it, having so much to choose from on one unit.
We don't have the same procedures as you have in 17th, or I think it's the 18th now!

That is interesting to hear. Certainly by time you have bought an insulation tester and a RCD tester you might as well buy a MFT!

However, most multimeters cover a wider range of measurements than the equivalent MFT capabilities, but generally not as capable at the very low (bonding) or very high (insulation testing) resistance ranges.

bought my 1553 2nd hand in 2013 from MDJ.. it's now 12 years old and passed every calibration.

I have a Megger made in the 1960s. I have had use of it since 1993. I still use it when I don't need a calibrated result. It has a DC generator 500 & 1000VDC. The meter has a current winding and a voltage winding. The result of the two magnetic fields moves the meter hand; effectively an electromagnetic ohms calculator. Just beautiful.

I've just done the same, had my trusty Mft1552 since late 2006 and is still passing calibration and never missed a beat.
Just bought the 1741+ and it's every bit as reliable and am very pleased with it. A worthy investment, hopefully it will last as well as the 1552!
Sy

After using a wind-up megger for many a year and borrowing from others. Thought I would embrace modern technology and purchased the DiLog DL9110 just over a year ago.

Does everything I need for the occasional domestic work that I do, it's not the quickest when carrying out no-trip tests, but happy with it and its 'relatively' cheap. No issues with it so far, just wish I had paid a little bit more for the next model up that comes with remote test probe.

After using a wind-up megger for many a year and borrowing from others. Thought I would embrace modern technology and purchased the DiLog DL9110 just over a year ago.

Does everything I need for the occasional domestic work that I do, it's not the quickest when carrying out no-trip tests, but happy with it and its 'relatively' cheap. No issues with it so far, just wish I had paid a little bit more for the next model up that comes with remote test probe.

DiLog state that their remote test probe (TLRP911x) can be used with the DL9110. About £40 to buy separately.

Kewtech KT64 V1 6yrs and counting use it for spare internal solder to lead sockets re-soldered.
Kewtech KT64 V2 7yrs + still going strong (above issue not apparent due to redesign) They are solid & reliable

Just wondering which multifunctional testers you guys have, and how long have they lasted?

Hoping this becomes a handy thread for you all. There seems to be a massive price difference between them all. But then I guess some do things others don't? Not sure. :)

Let us know which multifunctional testers you have, which ones you wish you had, and how long the one you have has lasted so far. :D
1994 Meggers, Robin DVMs and clip-on same age, Fluke multi ditto, Hewlett Packard AC/DC clip-on that drew graphs even back then, Clare tester and a lot more even older. All employer provided but donated to me on retirement. Not used seriously now of course!

Never owned an MFT, I still use separate testers. I do almost no domestic work, mostly commercial/industrial controls etc so I never felt the need to spend the extortionate amount of money on one.

Robin 3 piece tester set , got it when I finisged my apprenticeship

still going strong ? after 20 years

I just purchased the Kewtech KT63 which arrived yesterday. Did a quick RCD test and one side of the cu is fine, the other side failed so needs a new RCD.
This is fastly becoming an expensive hobby!

Reply to Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock