Discuss Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

... Respected for its worth - and probably never dropped 2m onto a painted concrete floor ...
Life expectancy must depend on part if it treated kindly , or slung in back of van jostling with reels of T&E.
mine is kept in a padded camera case. for fault finding i use a IR/cont. Megger BM summat, cost a tenner faulty. all it was was a broken connection on the inside of the lead socket. passed calibration and if i drop it it's only 4 pints lost.

Megger 1741, 1735, 1731 and a Metrel 3155 eurotest
Do you still have them all Richy?
Don't worry I'm not looking for a freebie like last time, just interested ?
I have a 1731 which I love. The metrel mi3000 lasted quite a few years though and was adequate, it's now kept as a spare.

I have an embarrassingly large collection of devices,some for work,some for fun,but in the latter MFT club,i have a 1720,with the latest version download,which has been very good.

I took the time to learn it's every option,and would keep it,even on a future upgrade,which will probably arrive out of giddyness,more than need ;)

I would always stress the need to know whatever device,100%,rather than chase any dazzling,newer versions.

In the last month,i have used a DC current meter,and an inclined manometer,both of which,are older than me mum :cool:

@happyhippydad Morning. Happy new year. Yes we still have all those test instruments. The Megger is the daily go to and to date the Metrel has been used mainly on EV testing with additional extra bits; but I am going to take it on as my main tester sometime soon.

We have a lot of Megger test equipment (clamps, earth leakage, AVO, iClamps, PAT testers etc) but these last couple of years have felt the MFT's are not made as well as they used to be.

The last 1700 series we ordered arrived with the top and bottom detached! It was all sorted out OK but knocks your confidence in the equipment somewhat.
[automerge]1577962855[/automerge]
HI
Just looking at buying a metrel ML3155 XD
would anyone happen to know what the difference between the standard kit and the euro kit is. for the £400 difference

thanks
@rlsecurity if you look on the meter UK website there is a chart showing what is and isn't included. Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

Kewtech KT65 for last 3 years. It’s been reliable and we understand each other. I do have Megger envy building, but the KT just won’t die :) .
That KT65 was one of the few I considered before pitching for a lightly used Megger 1730. Looks nice and fool-proof compared to the Mettrel and Fluke Had a Fluke on loan recently. Can't say much about the accuracy, which should the the most important consideration, but find the 1730's "child's toy" controls far easier to set correctly.

Does anyone else test their MFT against a Cal-Card and a known RCD? Mine gets a run through and spreadsheet log roughly every month. Give me a heads up as to potential issues.

Does anyone else test their MFT against a Cal-Card and a known RCD? Mine gets a run through and spreadsheet log roughly every month. Give me a heads up as to potential issues.

That’s what I did when registered with a Scheme. Then every third year, I’d have it calibrated. I replaced the Calcard then, but then someone pointed out the card is just a set of known resistances, which can’t alter.
As did a Zs test as well as RCD test on the same socket. If was doing it now, I would install a dedicated socket on its own RCBO, to save messing around isolating devices.

That’s what I did when registered with a Scheme. Then every third year, I’d have it calibrated..
THAT'S INTERESTING! I hadn't realised that if you monitor the readings and they remain the same it isn't necessary to fork out anything between £50 - £125 every year for a calibration test. Thanks Midwest.

Personally I advocate annual calibration in addition to ongoing accuracy checks. These are nowhere near as thorough or controlled as the calibration process.

It's all academic for me anyway as RECI require annual calibration without exception.

KT65, selector switch went in warranty, that was just dirt , it does get used in some nasty industrial locations, since then its now over 9 years old still going strong, have another KT65 as back up but never been out of the house.
Only other thing is one of the leads broke

The new kewtech kt63 + I think it is looks pretty damn good... Has built in dc testing for rcds which is good as we are moving towards type a etc.... Most can't test them... Only the ac side... Its nearly £1k though

I have a Megger MFT 1741-BS. Had a Megger MFT 1553 before that. (Still have it as a backup.) New one is much faster and also has rechargeable batteries. Great instrument, although some would still swear by the 1500 series over the 1700 series.
Speak to Megger and get it upgraded to the new 1741+ I think they will do it for a low price....

Speak to Megger and get it upgraded to the new 1741+ I think they will do it for a low price....
Do they offer a deal on upgrading to the 1741+?

I'll be honest - I was fuming when I found out that it had been released as I've only had my 1741 just over a year and would have bought the 1741+ had it existed at the time. (I see there's a nice limited edition black version of it too...)

Reply to Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock