Discuss National championship in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It all seemed so easy, wall boxes just nailed to the upright timbers, cables taken in a straight line across the top and the DB enclosure pre fixed for them, no cleaning up either. I didn't have sound on, was it purely a competition based on speed ? If not I'd give them 3 out of 10 for quality.
My smileys won't work either. :)

I spoke with a few American / Canadian sparks over the years and they could 'rough in' a brand new timber house on their own in under 2 days.
Bang boxes (boxes with nails on the side ready to bang home' , romex thrown in with sockets and lights mixed on the same breakers and generally no isolation switches at all any appliances just a receptacle behind to plug into. Only thing that would get a separate isolator was the cooker and air con unit.
They would pretty much drill joists and studs where ever they wanted and safe zones need not apply...
Second fix was all wire nuts and absolutely no testing of anything just switch on and hope for no bangs

I spoke with a few American / Canadian sparks over the years and they could 'rough in' a brand new timber house on their own in under 2 days.
Bang boxes (boxes with nails on the side ready to bang home' , romex thrown in with sockets and lights mixed on the same breakers and generally no isolation switches at all any appliances just a receptacle behind to plug into. Only thing that would get a separate isolator was the cooker and air con unit.
They would pretty much drill joists and studs where ever they wanted and safe zones need not apply...
Second fix was all wire nuts and absolutely no testing of anything just switch on and hope for no bangs
Dusty the appliances have have isolation and it’s called the plugs as for the banging boxes just anywhere they want there was a schematic telling them where to put them, yes they drilled holes through the boards which is legal. The only thing I saw that they done wrong was every stud they drilled through should have a nail plate installed so the drywall people couldn’t drive a nail through it. That was so simple and if I did the terminations with wire nuts which I have never had a problem with and I know y’all use terminal blocks I wouldn’t hesitate to turn the power on. It was just so simple and that’s the way it’s done in the US

Megawatt , I have no issue with how you do your wiring.
Infact I quite like its simplicity. Timber frame makes for very quick and easy cable installation.
A very basic electrical code to follow makes installations easy and practical to duplicate on mass scale.

That was so simple and if I did the terminations with wire nuts which I have never had a problem with and I know y’all use terminal blocks I wouldn’t hesitate to turn the power on. It was just so simple and that’s the way it’s done in the US

But you turn the power in without any testing, this seems like madness to us.
How do you know if the circuit is safe to be turned on?
do you know that the earth is connected properly at each accessory before you turn the power on?
How can you know that the circuit breaker will disconnect a fault without earth loop impedance testing?

But you turn the power in without any testing, this seems like madness to us.
How do you know if the circuit is safe to be turned on?
do you know that the earth is connected properly at each accessory before you turn the power on?
How can you know that the circuit breaker will disconnect a fault without earth loop impedance testing?
Dave I have never had to do a earth loop impedance test. I said if I done all the terminations yes I would not give it a second thought, if one of my electricians wired it I would be all over that checking their work. Cut the main and branch circuits off check all circuits to ground and turn them on one at a time. I have learned one thing and it seems y’all are covered up with paper work. The very first thing I do is check the bonding of the panel which to me is the most important

Fret not , plenty of hobby books(of US-origin) full for "questionable designs were the starting point for my interest in "Electronics",
110V to earth is so much less risky . For a dry skinned human.
(Similar to how 1kV can jump through clothing ..)
Staticzap I took electrical safety classes and it don’t take but 1 Milli amp to go across your heart and kill someone. You being in electronics should know all about resistance as dry skin and oily skin

Reply to National championship in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock