Discuss Need advice on 'unsafe' work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Phil

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an ex army electrician that is now working on generators.

I have a colleague who isn't a spark but he has carried out an electrical installation in his mates new restaurant! I've told him to get a proper spark in that knows what he is doing but he didn't.

From what I know, there is NO RCD protection, no design work was carried out before hand and I'm unsure but confident no paper work has been submitted to anyone to carry out the work.

He told me someone had been out to tell him what needed to be done but I think that's BS. Apparently this person told him a 6A CB would be suitable for a ring main circuit.

What's worse is the restaurant is now open for business, he claims an electrician is coming in next week to sign it all off.

I need advice on what to do, the last thing I want to do is keep my mouth shut and someone dies!

You need to go and see the install for yourself. Not much point in complaining on installs you haven't seen and on 3rd party info.

take a look and if need be report it to the council. if the building is open to the public regardless of part p and stuff the planning/building control will be all over it. especially if it poses a fire risk due to dangerous circuits etc..

You need to go and see the install for yourself. Not much point in complaining on installs you haven't seen and on 3rd party info.
I'm not complaining I'm asking for advice, I've never done permanent installs and I want to make sure I'm clear on what I can say to him to make him see the error of his ways before something serious happens.

This is a difficult situation to find yourself in; you can probably only get access to the installation via your colleague/friend, and if you condemn it, they are not going to be your friend for much longer. But I think you have to do something.

I think you should just write to the council. Give them your name, address and phone number and tell them you are aware the installation work has been carried out by someone who is not qualified and that they have told you that no design work has been carried out. Ask them to investigate with the Restaurant owner and to keep your name out it as far as possible. You don't have to give them your colleague's name, but I would provide enough information for the council to see that you don't have a grudge against the restaurant owner.

It is possible that your colleague will figure out your are the informant, but it is also possible that they won't. To my mind this route is the only one that provides some potential to avoid falling out with the colleague.

Sorry you find yourself having to deal with this situation, but please take action.

Hi Phil - you are right to be concerned and frankly you can say whatever you need to - that's the joy of living in the free country you've worked to keep free :) . Whether these folks take any notice is another thing, unfortunately. If you visit the installation and take notes/pics I'm sure you'll get specific feedback here.

I'm not complaining I'm asking for advice, I've never done permanent installs and I want to make sure I'm clear on what I can say to him to make him see the error of his ways before something serious happens.

I wasn't getting at you about the 'complaining' remark mate.
You may want to register a complaint with someone. You need to see the install first.

I would not involve myself directly, just in case the story is not as its being conveyed.

As previously suggested, just whistle blow it to your local council, anonymously if necessary.

I wasn't getting at you about the 'complaining' remark mate.
You may want to register a complaint with someone. You need to see the install first.
Ok cool sorry i misunderstood your comment.

I'm not sure I really want to visit the restaurant as I don't want to be put in a position where he asks me to rectify it when I myself don't have the qualifications to complete the work, and being my mate I know he would ask. I've told him what he should be doing before Christmas, at the time they were not opening until February but seen him after the holidays and they had opened early.

As I said, someone is meant to be going in Monday to sign it off, which I'm sceptical about, and from what he has told me no one would put their name to it.

I will wait until Tuesday and see what happened Monday and then assess my options then. Thank you all for the advice.

Difficult moral dilemna. On the one hand what business is it of yours you are not a building inspector. Getting involved my cause losing friends or worse. On the other hand as you say it would be on your conscience if you did nothing and someone died. I suspect what will happen is that the system will break down even melt down by the sound of it. If it is signed off what is the problem? In your position I would tell the person who wired it that if he does not do it properly you will inform building control of your worries and misgivings and see which way the "cat jumps" as it were. And anyway I would go to the restaurant and offer my expert services never being one to miss a business opportunity.

Reply to Need advice on 'unsafe' work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock