Discuss New 2391 course / exam in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem with the 2394/2395 is that you can only take the exam on specific dates in any year. Having an online exam which can be taken at any time in my view is a step in the right direction, the EAL equivalent is reference book allowed so I don't see the issue, or am I the only person who has their onsite guide and BYB in the van? Surely the point of exams is not to test someones ability to remember facts but to turn out someone who can test and inspect even if they need to look in a book on occasions?

I agree with that.
Some people think you need to memorize everything to test but I don't see the problem as long as you can identify when you need to look something up.

by reusing the title 2391 it massively devalues the qualification that people got when it was hard, and thus why it was saught after by employers. their is already an open book qualification, the 2382. I can't remember but I'm sure when I did my GCSE's I didn't take a book in with me with all the answers in it. closed book means you have read, understood and inwardly digested the information and can recall it. it was aimed at timed served electricians to underpin experience with a qualification.

by reusing the title 2391 it massively devalues the qualification that people got when it was hard, and thus why it was saught after by employers. their is already an open book qualification, the 2382. I can't remember but I'm sure when I did my GCSE's I didn't take a book in with me with all the answers in it. closed book means you have read, understood and inwardly digested the information and can recall it. it was aimed at timed served electricians to underpin experience with a qualification.

Sorry mate I disagree, I don't think any other qualification is undervalued and for me my aging brain is now full of more important stuff, I have through my life forgotten more than I have learned and I for one can't remember all of the carp they taught me at school. I have young members of staff who have qualifications coming out of their ears as they are good at learning and remembering things, they can also be complete liabilities. I would much prefer to have someone who has the common sense to look in a book and know where to look and how to interpret the data or ask if they are unsure rather than thinking they know it all and ---- up. How many people are there out there who do not possess the 2394/2395 and are still able to confidently carry out an EICR. To be honest the exam is irrelevant anyway as it is not a legislative requirement.

Whether the exam is hard or not is to my mind irrelevant, what you actually need to turn out at the end is someone who can inspect and test competently. The new 2391 is actually aimed at time served electricians who haven't got formal qualifications! The bottom line is that EAL is slowly gaining traction with open book exams and like it or not C&G have to adapt to a changing market. All exams are based on national occupational standards and agreed assessment so whatever exam you take and whether it is open or closed book the end result should be the same.

Reply to New 2391 course / exam in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net