• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New Hammer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've got the same cheapish draper claw hammer I've had since my apprenticeship, it still works just as well as it did back then.

Whatever you do don't go too cheap and get a claw hammer with a hollow tubular neck!
Ah yeah forgot about those and have seen a couple of mishaps with them.
[automerge]1590532864[/automerge]
What’s the Estwing one that you have, just so I can put it in the save for later.
I have an E16s which I got as an alternative to the Wiha.

I've got the same cheapish draper claw hammer I've had since my apprenticeship, it still works just as well as it did back then.

Whatever you do don't go too cheap and get a claw hammer with a hollow tubular neck!
I remember, one morning, my draper had developed a weird bend. I didn't notice at first but some bleeder had swapped it for mine.

My Granddad (who's name ironically was Stanley) got me a Stanley claw hammer when i became an apprentice 34 years ago. I have given the hammer a fearful bashing over the years and it is still going very strongly now.
My Granddad was a very quiet but knowledgeable man and he just seemed to know what the best thing to get was so i would definitely recommend the Stanley hammer as a good all rounder but as others have said, what suits one person may not suit another.
For a relative budget price though its Stanley for me, thanks Granddad :)

I saw a wiha rep in the wholesalers trying to encourage a bunch of us to buy their electricians hammer. He wasn’t getting on well.

It’s short, lightweight and has a square head. Fine if you’re doing a lot of clipping, but useless for general nail knocking.

just a posh hammer for a tool tart.

I have a WIHA (tin hat on). Had it 5 years or so. Mines branded Hultafors, but the same thing in black. The head is curved and does help if you are tacking stuff up by a ceiling or knocking out boxes. but is lighter in weight than a framing hammer. It gets used maybe 90% of the time. I also have an Estwing framing hamer around 22oz for heavier stuff.

Had the same Estwing 20oz vinyl handle fo 38 years. Bought a 16oz one for a tenner in a B&Q clearance a few years ago - couldn't resist at that price. Not sure where it is, though.
Can't beat Estwing for balance.
For general bashing, the Forge Steel one from Screwfix takes a lot of beating! ?

Reply to New Hammer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back