Discuss New shed PVC conduit prep in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a DIY'er looking to build a 6x8 shed in my backyard in Colorado.

I'm installing a gravel pad first, with 4 concrete Sonotube piers/footings, and 6x6 lumber edging.
I'll eventually be running a buried 20 amp wire from my house to the shed for lighting and future lawn mower / weed eater use.

Before I install the gravel base, I assume I should bury a 1" OD PVC conduit for the electric. I'll plan to have this elbow pipe start inside the shed, go straight down through the floor, turn 90 deg. about 18 inches underground, and run to just outside the gravel base so I can connect to it months from now. I'll just cap both ends for now while it's buried and awaiting connection someday.

For a single 20A electric line, what diameter PVC pipe should I use? Is a 90 deg. PVC elbow ok? I want to ensure I can easily pull any reasonable cable through this in the future.

I'm thinking this will be nicer than running PVC to the outside wall of the shed after it's been built. Or is all this more trouble than it's worth?

Hi, I'm a DIY'er looking to build a 6x8 shed in my backyard in Colorado.

I'm installing a gravel pad first, with 4 concrete Sonotube piers/footings, and 6x6 lumber edging.
I'll eventually be running a buried 20 amp wire from my house to the shed for lighting and future lawn mower / weed eater use.

Before I install the gravel base, I assume I should bury a 1" OD PVC conduit for the electric. I'll plan to have this elbow pipe start inside the shed, go straight down through the floor, turn 90 deg. about 18 inches underground, and run to just outside the gravel base so I can connect to it months from now. I'll just cap both ends for now while it's buried and awaiting connection someday.

For a single 20A electric line, what diameter PVC pipe should I use? Is a 90 deg. PVC elbow ok? I want to ensure I can easily pull any reasonable cable through this in the future.

I'm thinking this will be nicer than running PVC to the outside wall of the shed after it's been built. Or is all this more trouble than it's worth?
You should have no problems with what you want but even if you install conduit the cable still needs to be UF cable which is approved for under ground use. If you are using romex it needs to be # 12. 1 inch PVC conduit at a minimum to make the pull easier. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reply to New shed PVC conduit prep in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net