Discuss Newbie PAT in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V=IR

-
Reaction score
I just recieved my level 3 C&G certificate in December last year to carry out PAT testing, I am in the process of setting up a small business while I'm at college to earn some money. I have a website and all of the prices worked out etc...but the question that's bugging me is do I charge a call out fee?

If you are a student doing the odd pat job to make money then its probably better than working in your local tesco.... but to be honest i think the money is no longer in pat testing... unless you have a minimum charge before then x amount per additional item. it just does not pay for itself.
I have a small job next week that is 10 items, i tested most of them last year for the landlord having installed them as part of the refurb, I charge an extra £25 on the EICR I do for him at the change of tenancy. I will be pulling out the washing machine, fridge freezer etc as part of the eicr anyway so a quick pat test is no big issue. Were it a property im not familiar with or have no past knowledge of the appliances then it would require a minimum one hour charge.

PAT Testing for rentals can be a pain as you might be going to test one appliance or perhaps a dozen.

Whereas in an office there might be quite a few computers; IEC leads; printers; monitors; extension leads etc. Reasonable money can be made at it, I think. (Not necessarily fantastic money.) But it can be a drag.

Doing a factory at the minute. Thankfully they are happy for this to be done over a number of months as spending a solid week or longer there going through everything would frankly be heartbreaking.

I wouldn't entertain big PAT jobs without a downloadable PAT tester.

PA Testing can help fill gaps, you probably wouldn't charge a call out fee, more along the lines of £50-60 will give you an hour and 20-30 tests, over that and you can agree a price per item or hour. I just charge a day rate to be honest, never had anyone complain and everybody comes back whenever it's next due.

I tend to get a lot of enquiries about it for a while and then none for ages. Unfortunately I'm currently getting lots of enquiries about PAT testing.

You did the pat testing course, do you have a meter etc, are you even able to pat test efficiently? I did mine ages ago and forgot most.

Volunteer down a local charity, they usually pay for pat testing, couple of mornings and youll be a dab hand :)

Go to your local band/music rehearsal studios and leave a crad and or put up a poster, a good source of electrical equipment to be tested, but just don't blow it up and make sure you have insurance!:)

Risteard, don't know why someone thinks your posts are dumb...you speak sense.
V=IR,
I only tend to do Landlord stuff, and locally too. I charge a set fee for up to 20 items, including call-out/travel. It doesn't make more than beer money, but i get out, I meet people, and I get repeat business. I am retired, so making an imcome from PAT is not so important...just as well.
I too pull out washing machines etc, Gavin JH, but not every year on return visits obviously. I appreciate that you are doing EICRs, and to do a PAT at the same time makes sense, indeed.
It's ISITEE some of the time too...but that's a different point...
and yes, get insurance.
I have also volunteered for charity...I filled in an online application for a well known one with a shop in my home town...I ticked the specific boxes on the form for PAT and general DIY, and confirmed the work was free of charge...did I even get an acknowledgement? No. Maybe the fault of whoever reviewed the application, but it's their loss, I guess.
Therefore, you won't make much money...and if you are inundated with work you won't have time to do it properly...and will get bored.
For me, it's a hobby-for you, maybe a nice little sideline?

Risteard, don't know why someone thinks your posts are dumb...you speak sense.
V=IR,
I only tend to do Landlord stuff, and locally too. I charge a set fee for up to 20 items, including call-out/travel. It doesn't make more than beer money, but i get out, I meet people, and I get repeat business. I am retired, so making an imcome from PAT is not so important...just as well.
I too pull out washing machines etc, Gavin JH, but not every year on return visits obviously. I appreciate that you are doing EICRs, and to do a PAT at the same time makes sense, indeed.
It's ISITEE some of the time too...but that's a different point...
and yes, get insurance.
I have also volunteered for charity...I filled in an online application for a well known one with a shop in my home town...I ticked the specific boxes on the form for PAT and general DIY, and confirmed the work was free of charge...did I even get an acknowledgement? No. Maybe the fault of whoever reviewed the application, but it's their loss, I guess.
Therefore, you won't make much money...and if you are inundated with work you won't have time to do it properly...and will get bored.
For me, it's a hobby-for you, maybe a nice little sideline?
@Risteard had a particularly bad stalker after a thread got a bit sideways! I don’t know why it was Risteard alone but definitely stalked for the day - the new member was banned the same day, the sheriff did his job!

Hi , I have a new contract, new to PAT testing ,what is the going rate? considering I will have to travel 50 miles to get on site ?
Eleanor, travel 50 miles for ISITEE (PATesting) hardly a worthwhile endeavor in my experience.

Going rate back to bed it would be for me travelling 50 miles for PA testing!
Question is how big is the contract, how many assets and could further work come from it?

Eleanor, what industry is the contract within? How simple is the testing? Many years ago, we made the mistake of quoting an event caterer the same amount per item as we do for small entertainment industry items. Never again! bulky, heavy, greasy equipment with every cable sticky from cooking oil! If it's small items you can test on the bench that's being brought to you, or multiple small items in clean offices, that's a different matter. Don't under price it.

Thanks Rpa07 and Pete999. How much is the Pat testing pre item thesis days ? there will be more work as a result of this .
I'm not sure eleanor to be honest, I'm sure someone will answer, PM camerbloke a forum member he does PAT from time to time.

Reply to Newbie PAT in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock