Discuss Next power tool - 12v or 18v - SDS, Multitool or something else? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
As title.

Looking at my next addition - anniversary and crimbo coming up so want to get the pennies saved ahead of time.

Currently posses 2 Milwaukee M12 tools; Impact Driver and Combi Drill and love them, get constant abuse at college and home and are a joy to work with.

Looking at the next tool and in general I can't decide which, for a student/apprentice, would be more useful in general;

Multitool allows for cutting out for backboxes, cuts metal. wood and others.
SDS fills roles for chasing and heavy drilling.

If you could have one or the other, which would go for? Which do you use most (if you have both, any brand).

I think Multi tool would be my next purchase, in your position.

Then an sds drill. As I’ve manage to damage a couple, I would be spending a lot on one, and I’d probably go corded.

Milwaukee do an SDS drill that would allow you to use the same 12V batteries but I have no idea how capable it is. Generally for stone-bashing you want a lot of power so mains or big batteries is your first choice, so hopefully others might have an idea if a 12V SDS is worth considering:

Milwaukee do an SDS drill that would allow you to use the same 12V batteries but I have no idea how capable it is. Generally for stone-bashing you want a lot of power so mains or big batteries is your first choice, so hopefully others might have an idea if a 12V SDS is worth considering:

It's ok but I generally only use mine for drilling for plugs. It really struggles at 20mm bits in masonry. It's also generally very expensive for the tool that it is. Very light though and lasts for ages with my 6.0Ah batteries.

The 18V sds range in Milwaukee is much more capable. My M18 CHX is a great tool with chisel function. Trade offs are that it is heavy and you don't yet have any 18V batteries. Well worth looking at deals though to compare against other tools.

The M18 multitool is great if not very fancy, but I've heard the M12 one have a habit of vibrating its batteries loose and doesn't have much grunt.

I'd prioritise SDS over multitool in your situation.

It's ok but I generally only use mine for drilling for plugs. It really struggles at 20mm bits in masonry. It's also generally very expensive for the tool that it is. Very light though and lasts for ages with my 6.0Ah batteries.
Thanks for the feedback! My own SDS is a mains powered AEG and so far not had the need/justification for replacing it as I'm not usually working without AC nearby.

It's the M18 CHX I'm looking at, can't see justification to go for the CHPX model. Was thinking 18v for both, went for 12v on drill and impact becUse I liked the form factor and 12v seemed to be ample for any interior drilling.

I had considered the 12v SDS but it just doesn't seem like it would be enough grunt, same with the Multitool

Conferring whether to nab one second hand or wait and get new

It's the M18 CHX I'm looking at, can't see justification to go for the CHPX model. Was thinking 18v for both, went for 12v on drill and impact becUse I liked the form factor and 12v seemed to be ample for any interior drilling.

I had considered the 12v SDS but it just doesn't seem like it would be enough grunt, same with the Multitool

Conferring whether to nab one second hand or wait and get new

I've seen some deals for the CHPX being cheaper than the CHX if it makes a difference ? What's your current budget ?

Don't forget other brands if you have no 18V gear yet although I have no issues with my M18 gear.

From what ican remember the CHX model has 4 modes, The CHPX only 3.

While I have no 18v gear at the mo, my Milwaukee quick charger handles thier 12, 18 and another higher voltage I can't remember so as I already have the charger, it makes sense to try thier 18v kit.

Current budget between 200-350....don't tell SWMBO ?

Milwaukee have a bewildering range of kits!

Options for the model of drill itself, whether it has a normal chuck as well as SDS, and the batteries that potentially come in 2, 4, 5 and 9 Ah capacity and one or two per kit. As already said, look out for deals on different supplier's sites as often you can get a kit for a whole lot less than buying just or two or so of its contents.

An attempt to list them in price order on one of the supplier's sites:
[automerge]1588283720[/automerge]
But as Andy78 points out, if you don't have any real investment in their 18V power system then you would be wise to check out some of the alternatives. A general discussion on the good, bad, and ugly of power tools is going on here:

Reply to Next power tool - 12v or 18v - SDS, Multitool or something else? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net