Discuss No neutral at Fuseboard?!?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys. Possibly a bit amateur sounding of me. I’m second fixing some flats (that someone else first fixed - pain in the 4rse I know). I’ve come to fit the Fuseboards for each flat, and there’s a 25mm armoured single (brown) been pulled to each fuseboard, I’m baffled as to why I’ve not got a 3 core. Am I being silly or has someone dropped a clanger and pulled in the wrong mains? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

It's probably concentric cable rather than armoured

No neutral at Fuseboard?!?! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Edit: beaten to it by seconds!

Not sure how 7671 relates to its use in flats - it's usually something run by DNO.. Are the meters in the flats or at a central point?

Are you sure its SWA and not splitcon?

Found it....this rather old photo shows it in use.

No neutral at Fuseboard?!?! 1627600564794 - EletriciansForums.net

My memory is that it's rather nice to work with. Manufacturer data is available.
I think I'm right in saying that it can't be buried without mechanical protection unless in safe zones as it's pot luck whether a nail hits the neutral or the earth.
I also think it's mentioned in GN1 but I can't find that at the moment!

View attachment 88119

My memory is that it's rather nice to work with. Manufacturer data is available.
I think I'm right in saying that it can't be buried without mechanical protection unless in safe zones as it's pot luck whether a nail hits the neutral or the earth.

That's the bit I was wondering about - though surely if true it can't be buried full stop, regardless of safe zones? (Unless >50mm depth)

Though given the number of new build flats I've seen with 16mm T&E that are almost certainly not where they should be, noone seems to care...

Is the cut out and meter already there and connected? , I remember getting called in to second fix a load of flats in London once after the first builders went busted…

the builders had pulled in a cable that the Dno use for pme supplies from the basement of the flats up to each flat ready for a cutout and meter to be installed

I think you need to ask the question of where are the meters going.
Concentric is usually used by DNO to go into their cutouts.

View attachment 88119

Very poor job, no heat shrink on the conductors or break out boot!

That's the bit I was wondering about - though surely if true it can't be buried full stop, regardless of safe zones? (Unless >50mm depth)
Thread resurrection alert!

The BS7671 wiring regs used to allow it to be buried direct like SWA, but now it has to be in suitable duct for mechanical protection.

However I believe the DNO regs allow direct burial, presumably as they take a little more care as to how vulnerable "buried" actually is.

Thread resurrection alert!

The BS7671 wiring regs used to allow it to be buried direct like SWA, but now it has to be in suitable duct for mechanical protection.

However I believe the DNO regs allow direct burial, presumably as they take a little more care as to how vulnerable "buried" actually is.
I guess if you think about it logically, in towns and cities where there’s an access point every few tens of metres there’s actually very little that’s buried!

I think another possible factor is often the DNO cable is concentric TN-C at that point, so the outer conductors are all earth in a sense.

Either way, each has its own rules to work to.

Reply to No neutral at Fuseboard?!?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock