Discuss No Trip 2 Wire MFTs in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tunni

-
Reaction score
Hi folks, my Fluke 1652 has finally given up. I need a replacement quick. I want to try and future proof the purchase a little by making sure the replacement does 2 wire no trip testing. Do any of the current Flukes do this? What are the options these days? I'd not given any thought to it all until today

megger 1700 seies. check them out with test-meter (forum sponsor).

Thanks have been checking them out. Was thinking of going down the downloadable route too but noticed that Powersuite or whatever Megger call it doesn't appear compatible with Windows after Vista. Tried to download their Form Filler software for a look. Have it downloaded but the format doesn't appear to be any use at first glance. Too big for the screen. Was a big fan of my Fluke but the 2 wire test will probably swing me to Megger. The software though, is it worth it?

I think Megger have a patent or other IP on their 2-wire no-trip loop test, so if this feature is important for you then it's either Megger or Megger. Saying that, I've had a Megger for a couple of years (after moving from Kewtech) and I've never used the 2-wire no-trip facility - it's less useful than you think it might be. If I need to test continuity at an RCD-protected light fitting, for example, I use a wander lead and do an R2 test.

Can't comment on software I'm afraid.

Most MFT do no-trip testing these days. Pretty much essential with RCDs everywhere! Never had to use any matching software though, which is probably a blessing...

We've just got a Megger 1741 i tried it on the most commonly used brands of RCBO we install from lewden and wylex on a 2 wire test and it popped it out both, will have to do a bit more investigating to see whether its only those brands :tearsofjoy:

We've just got a Megger 1741 i tried it on the most commonly used brands of RCBO we install from lewden and wylex on a 2 wire test and it popped it out both, will have to do a bit more investigating to see whether its only those brands :tearsofjoy:
sure you had it on no-trip setting???

sure you had it on no-trip setting???

2 wire Lo was indicated on screen, only played with it for a half hour before my attention got diverted to my new new Metrel Mi3152 :smilingimp: I'll have another look when i get hold of it again.Sorry I forgot, it did work on Hager RCBOS tried them too

Last edited:
I'm having to do a lot of loop tests with r2 as well. The light fittings are often out of reach and the preference is to test at switches as that is where the user is, company policy, time and all that. The Fluke was perfectly happy doing the 2 wire test on high but as RCBOs and RCDs start to go out on mass in these large installations I can see the no trip feature becoming ever more important.
Normally everything gets scribed to paper for the office but with my other hat on I do lots of events testing and the certs need to be there at the end of the day. It'd be brilliant to be able to speed that process up.

I think it is only megger who have a 2 wire no-trip test, an even then their manuals advise that it should only be used if all other testing methods are not possible.

Still not fully decided. Has anyone any experience of the Megger Powersuite or just trying to download from a Megger to PC? A programme only compatible with Win 7 or Vista, if that is the case, is no use to me so there's no point in parting with the extra folding, if they can "seamlessly" output to PC in a useable format that would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks have been checking them out. Was thinking of going down the downloadable route too but noticed that Powersuite or whatever Megger call it doesn't appear compatible with Windows after Vista. Tried to download their Form Filler software for a look. Have it downloaded but the format doesn't appear to be any use at first glance. Too big for the screen. Was a big fan of my Fluke but the 2 wire test will probably swing me to Megger. The software though, is it worth it?
I bought my older 1730, with the Powersuite software in 2013. It was a bunch of carp, putting it politely!

Hard to use, printed certs looked unprofessional, and tech support cost money (a lot) after something like 6 months. When I spoke to a Megger rep at one of the Elex events, even he agreed.

So unless they’ve turned it around since then, I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

Cheers Midwest. Just skimming the specs and Megger website I admit I have a way to go to be convinced re software. It would be so flippin useful for the events though. Had Fluke powerplant for a while that was next to useless too IMO
[automerge]1591355359[/automerge]
Powerpat even

We've used meggers software before, it was always very clunky, they never really move with the times, now we run a laptop onsite or tablet and have third party software like amtech on it and input results as we go, far easier and more intuitive to use.

I'm normally a one man band on the events and it can be a right pain lugging all the kit around a busy stage or venue. Storing to memory and the download would be ideal but it sounds like a distant dream for some unknown reason. You wouldn't have thought it would be so hard really would you?

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to phones. Old eyes and a complete inability to do the 2 thumb type, coupled with a distinct lack of enthusiasm for small screens and all smart phone apps pretty much writes that off for me.

Just a little follow up for anyone interested. I borrowed a 1720. It does a 2 wire no trip, well I say that...I have managed a few of these but I have also found that a 2 wire Lo test does and will occasionally trip RCBOs, MEM bolt-ons, at the very least.

Reply to No Trip 2 Wire MFTs in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net