Discuss Non switched sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, we are in the process of trying to sell our flat, the buyer has had an electrical survey and the report stated that having 2 sockets without switches was against regulations. Is this true and if not can someone please point me in the direction of the standard that proves it is not true.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hello, we are in the process of trying to sell our flat, the buyer has had an electrical survey and the report stated that having 2 sockets without switches was against regulations. Is this true and if not can someone please point me in the direction of the standard that proves it is not true.

Many thanks

Stephen
They're still manufactured to this day (to BS 1363 as with switched socket-outlets), so it's absolute bunkum.

Many thanks

Stephen
Be careful.....it might knock a few thousand quid off the flat price...:rolleyes:

Is he refering to sockets for appliences that have no means of accessible isolation rather that a socket outlet with no switch on it?

Is he refering to sockets for appliences that have no means of accessible isolation rather that a socket outlet with no switch on it?

Under counter socket for a washing machine for example? In which case you would expect (surprised if it's not dictated) that a suitable means of isolation (Read: SFCU) nearby.

My understanding is that switched sockets are unusual anywhere in the world apart from the UK. When the 13A socket was designed back in the 1940s there was still a fair bit of DC about so the new universal sockets had to have switches, once DC disappeared the switches were simplified to AC only as it was easier to make.

In any case, is it a deal breaker, surely not!

It can be! I know a flat sale that nearly fell through due to an iced up freezer! The owner, an old chap, didn't want to defrost it because he was worried about water leaking into the downstairs neighbours. The purchaser wouldn't buy it until it was done!! Oh, and the ceilings/floors were solid concrete!!
Another property - grade 2 listed and costing £600k nearly fell through due to disagreement over an oven between parties concerned.. people can be nuts at times...

Unswitched sockets are a great idea for certain cheap carp brands; one less thing to go wrong with them!!

My understanding is that switched sockets are unusual anywhere in the world apart from the UK. When the 13A socket was designed back in the 1940s there was still a fair bit of DC about so the new universal sockets had to have switches, once DC disappeared the switches were simplified to AC only as it was easier to make.
BS1363 plugs and sockests were only ever for AC. I suspect it was because the BS1362 fuses were unsuitable for DC. The 1947 sockets were unswitched, then there was a different British Standard for switched 13A sockets (BS2814:1957) that was later incorporated in BS1363.

This is a bit OT for the original question but the idea of 13A socket-outlets on DC is interesting and I think I need to re-read the standards.

I recall, rightly or wrongly, that they were anticipated for AC only from the outset and this was expressly stated in the revised title of BS1363:1950. There were switched variants from the early days of production; I think the idea of BS2814 was to combine desirable features from current commercial offerings, which were usually of a proprietary size and shape (as were BS546 products) into a standard configuration to make them physically and functionally interchangeable, more than to enshrine the use of a switch.

There have been BS1363 socket-outlets made with quick-break switches suitable for DC, by Wandsworth amongst others, however I suspect this was mainly to use the same tried and tested switch components and give the same apparent certainty of action as with other fittings in their range. In any case, reliance on the switch for DC breaking would require interlocking, and these fittings were not interlocked.

Shutters were designed-in to the BS1363 standard as a measure against accidental contact especially by children poking things into the socket, however similar shutters had been used previously as an arc quenching measure on socket-outlets for DC. Whether they recieved any consideration for that purpose within BS1363 I do not know.

I am not often right, but I am wrong again.
Attached is part of a report on post war building studies for electrical installations giving their thoughts on sockets
They missed off the requirement that when placed on the floor it should really hurt when you stand on it.

Reply to Non switched sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net