Discuss Not seen one of these for a while in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I always wondered who made those, there are quite a few used for outside lighting on local fire stations. They seem to have a very long working life.

The type with the flat brass knurled knob are Simplex. They too have a toggle switch inside but mounted in the normal position. The toggle has a horizontal bar through it that the fork on the inside of the cover negages with.

we used to use them on some of our old landing craft. they were quite hardy but a bugger to get into once the elements had got to them and corrosion had set in. you were either drilling them out, or using a good old fashioned impact driver and hammer with plenty of penetrating oil.

Never ever heard of them being referred to as a Saturn switch.
Didn’t know they were brass either, but I’m cleaning this one up to find out!

Never ever heard of them being referred to as a Saturn switch.
Didn’t know they were brass either, but I’m cleaning this one up to find out!

Wasn't a term I was familiar with either. In fact I never even clocked that the switch looked like the planet until I saw one listed on eBay - and even then I had to think about it!

Was Loads of them on old London electricity Primary subs (ex CEGB) we ripped them out in the 90s and replaced with the horrible MK masterseal which lasted a fraction of the time. Wish I’d hung onto a few at that money.

There are quite a few things that have gained new names through eBay sellers parroting each others' listings. I don't know whether the switch was ever called or nicknamed 'Saturn' in its heyday, but it only takes one seller to use a catchy name and everybody picks it up because it's searchable. Once upon a time the firm of J & A Margolin sold record players using the brand name 'Dansette.' Some Dansette record players had legs, but by no means all and they were never called 'Dansette legs.' Now search for Dansette legs! You can even get a Bush record player with 'Dansette legs' which is as bad as a Dyson Hoover.

People also have a habit of stripping off the original finish to reveal brass or whatever, and call it restoration, but I'll stop now before sidetracking the thread into unplated brass bath taps.

This is a disconnected switch in my in laws storage shed. Sorry about the paintwork, it got sprayed when the walls were done.

View attachment 62511

I never realised it’s just an old toggle switch inside, mounted at an angle.

View attachment 62512
Hello Littlespark.
Nice one! It's a Crabtree outside weather proof light switch. I recall they were all two-way from memory. Note how good the insides of that switch still are! I have a brand-new and unused one of these in my spares box. I stopped using them in the mid-1980s due to touch-voltage calculations, 0.4 sec disconnection times, RCDs etc with the 15th Edition. Not normally an issue in reality, but I went to plastics then which seem to do ok. After all this time in the spares box, it's like an old friend I wouldn't want to sentence to eBay!

Reply to Not seen one of these for a while in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net