Discuss On the fiddle ______________ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Judd

-
Reaction score

Came across this setup today, upon further investigation i noticed the distributors neutral terminal completly slackened off in the meter (looked intentional) is this to prevent any possible current from returning via the meter?
With the 1g switch (just above DB) turned on the meter would read like normal. With the switch off the meter has no neutral and therfore is blank.

Came across this setup today, upon further investigation i noticed the distributors neutral terminal completly slackened off in the meter (looked intentional) is this to prevent any possible current from returning via the meter?
With the 1g switch (just above DB) turned on the meter would read like normal. With the switch off the meter has no neutral and therfore is blank.
That needs sorting immediately.

They are using the Earth terminal as Neutral.

The supply to the meter shouldn't be affected unless the Neutral from the cutout was the one loosened ?

I suspect the switch when on is making a path to the N tail out of the meter hence the meter fires up, when the switch is off the meter goes off, but current still flows because of the Earth to Neutral connection.

Eelectricity theft in a very dangerous way.

Last edited:
If i've seen right, neutral is coming in, is blocked onto the t+e feeding the switch, which is using the brown as a switching wire for the neutral which then uses bonding cable to act as the main switches neutral?

Do the appliances work when the switch is off?

This is all kinds of whacky, never seen owt like this but it screams 'dead bodies'. Would report this to authorities immediately and would switch the lot off.

I like how they've grommetted their t+e into the board though. That's a conscientious sparky right there.

Last edited:
If i've seen right, neutral is coming in, is blocked onto the t+e feeding the switch, which is using the brown as a switching wire for the neutral which then uses bonding cable to act as the main switches neutral?

Do the appliances work when the switch is off?

This is all kinds of whacky, never seen owt like this but it screams 'dead bodies'. Would report this to authorities immediately and would switch the lot off.
I'm guessing it's not the type of meter which stops current flow when not energised.

The silly thing is that they still had to access and disconnect the supply neutral to the meter.

If the L and Neutral remained from the cut-out then the meter would be powered whether the o/p tails were connected or not.
I'm still struggling to see how this means the meter is registering usage when the 'light' switch is on.

We've got incoming tails, no neutral connected to the meter. Then L out N out of the meter, L goes to main switch, N is switched and goes to main switch via earth bar, which means the circuit must always be using earth as the return since there's no other neutral in the circuit? So when the switch is off, there is basically no actual neutral in the circuit, not in or out of the meter, and there will be a line into the CU and only an earth out, am i getting that right?

Basically would this not function exactly the same without the switched neutral at all?

I've done a sketch of what it looks like to me.

Key:

Mtr - Meter
SH - Service Head
SW - Switch
E - Earth bar
MS - Main switch

Attachments

• dodgyCU-min.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
@rewireIT I think you have it right, the only confusion is over how the meter behaves.
Yes, it would function exactly the same without the switch and the 'N' connection to meter in the sense that all final circuits would 'work'. It's equivalent to doing safe isolation and testing L to CPC bar to confirm polarity.

The point is that the meter (if digital) wont record anything without a return current path. The switch is providing a return current path. So when the switch is on, the meter electronics fire up and records some usage.

If the neutral and earth are joined together in the head TNC-S, can this just work as a switch?

Meter neutral supply to CU and Main CPC to CU - normal running conditions and meter functions, if someone hid a crossover switch so now Neutral from the CU then connects to earth and Main bonding cable becomes the neutral tail - I don't think electrically anything would be affected, RCD's etc and anything upstream of the theoretical switch wouldn't care.

If the meter only counts both L+N through it and not L+"Bypass N" Unscrupulous people could wire and hide a free elec / metered elec switch subtlety between the meter and the CU. I'm imagining some sort of rotary switchgear

I'm still struggling to see how this means the meter is registering usage when the 'light' switch is on.

We've got incoming tails, no neutral connected to the meter. Then L out N out of the meter, L goes to main switch, N is switched and goes to main switch via earth bar, which means the circuit must always be using earth as the return since there's no other neutral in the circuit? So when the switch is off, there is basically no actual neutral in the circuit, not in or out of the meter, and there will be a line into the CU and only an earth out, am i getting that right?

Basically would this not function exactly the same without the switched neutral at all?

I've done a sketch of what it looks like to me.

Key:

Mtr - Meter
SH - Service Head
SW - Switch
E - Earth bar
MS - Main switch
Diagram looks right to me,
I'm not sure if the meter was 'registering usage' it merely sprang to life.

The conclusion I came to is that the meter must need a neutral terminated 'to it' to operate and read correctly.

@rewireIT I think you have it right, the only confusion is over how the meter behaves.
Yes, it would function exactly the same without the switch and the 'N' connection to meter in the sense that all final circuits would 'work'. It's equivalent to doing safe isolation and testing L to CPC bar to confirm polarity.

The point is that the meter (if digital) wont record anything without a return current path. The switch is providing a return current path. So when the switch is on, the meter electronics fire up and records some usage.
Ah great i understand, thanks for that.

Diagram looks right to me,
I'm not sure if the meter was 'registering usage' it merely sprang to life.

The conclusion I came to is that the meter must need a neutral terminated 'to it' to operate and read correctly.
Definitely the most wild thing i've seen in terms of a bypass. People usually just henley block and have two separate CU's, one metered and one not, if they want to still record some usage. Can't see any other reason you would have the switch there if you didn't want it registering something.

Mad.

If the neutral and earth are joined together in the head TNC-S, can this just work as a switch?

Meter neutral supply to CU and Main CPC to CU - normal running conditions and meter functions, if someone hid a crossover switch so now Neutral from the CU then connects to earth and Main bonding cable becomes the neutral tail - I don't think electrically anything would be affected, RCD's etc and anything upstream of the theoretical switch wouldn't care.

If the meter only counts both L+N through it and not L+"Bypass N" Unscrupulous people could wire and hide a free elec / metered elec switch subtlety between the meter and the CU. I'm imagining some sort of rotary switchgear
How would you stop the neutrals from acting as proper neutrals though since they're all physically connected correctly in the board?

I'm trying to visualise a set up whereby the board can look normal but can be switched to use earth as neutral.

Definitely the most wild thing i've seen in terms of a bypass. People usually just henley block and have two separate CU's, one metered and one not, if they want to still record some usage. Can't see any other reason you would have the switch there if you didn't want it registering something.

Mad.
Yes maybe it does register usage so they can just toggle between 'free' and 'paid for' not to arise any suspicion, and/or if any one comes to check everything seems to operate correctly.

Yes maybe it does register usage so they can just toggle between 'free' and 'paid for' not to arise any suspicion, and/or if any one comes to check everything seems to operate correctly.
You know from your description of the neutral cut out tail this is exactly what's going on. Head is not in the same location as the board i presume? So if someone comes to read the meter they can toggle the switch and visually the neutral seems to be in the meter.

Can anyone explain now however why this is dangerous? It looks really poor (main neutral essentially switched with 2.5mm) but when actually thinking about it - if the N and E are connected in the head in a TNCS then really isn't this just doing what the head does but in the CU?

Last edited:
The return 'fake neutral' is 16mm same as the live conductors, the consumer unit is fed by a 16mm 3core SWA.
Ah ok. Well obviously there’s a list of regs one could cite that are being broken and the dangers associated with anyone trying to work on the main earth and finding the full return current passing through it, but otherwise I’d agree it’s essentially the same as a N-E link in the cut-out.
The main danger is probably that it isn’t as it should be and how we’d expect it to be.

You know from your description of the neutral cut out tail this is exactly what's going on. Head is not in the same location as the board i presume? So if someone comes to read the meter they can toggle the switch and visually the neutral seems to be in the meter.

Can anyone explain now however why this is dangerous? It looks really poor (main neutral essentially switched with 2.5mm) but when actually thinking about it - if the N and E are connected in the head in a TNCS then really isn't this just doing what the head does but in the CU?

I doubt smart meters would react like that, they would most probably report a power out or even a pen fault.

They have basically linked the cpc and neutral together at the earth bar and disconnected the N from one side of the N shunt in the meter.

The no separation of the CPC from neutral at all turning it into an IT system, How do you think the RCDs are going to react ?.

The no separation of the CPC from neutral at all now turning it into an IT system,
I know what you are saying, but an IT system with no Isolating Transformer isn't really.....
How do you think the RCDs are going to react ?.
Erm, am I missing something as I'd say "the same?". The only difference between this and a correct setup is that there should be two conductors not one and the N-E link is the other side of the meter. The N for both RCD's still connects to the bottom of the main switch.

Reply to On the fiddle ______________ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net