Discuss Once quality brand on the wane? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Three MK 45A pull cords all failing to make on live.

Fitted the first, no live at the shower. No continuity across the switch when on, Neutral making fine.

Second and third tested on the counter at screwfix, one failed on live the other on both live and neutral.

Fourth one was dropped by the shop monkey and smashed the Bakelite.

Fifth one fitted and tested.

30 min job took 2.5 hours due to poor QC at MK.

Not a happy bunny.

Three MK 45A pull cords all failing to make on live.

Fitted the first, no live at the shower. No continuity across the switch when on, Neutral making fine.

Second and third tested on the counter at screwfix, one failed on live the other on both live and neutral.

Fourth one was dropped by the shop monkey and smashed the Bakelite.

Fifth one fitted and tested.

30 min job took 2.5 hours due to poor QC at MK.

Not a happy bunny.
That really is poor!

The general consensus seems to be to go for 50A crabtree one. There's been a few posts where that switch gets mentioned as one of the best.

crabby or click 50A, either one where you fit cables into the switch in situ, then popt he cover on. sod this squisshing cables into a stupid pattress,

Was MK a British brand originally? I believe their plastic stuff is stamped made in Malaysia? I see they are part of Honeywell.

Was MK a British brand originally? I believe their plastic stuff is stamped made in Malaysia? I see they are part of Honeywell.

Years ago their Ad was " You can tell a good electrician by what he throws away", then there was picture of the empty MK boxes in the bin.
Bit ironic in view of the op.

i went off MK when they stopped making plugs with the wrap round terminals. good for 30A with a modified fuse ( bit of 6mm screwed rod)

Mr Arnold must be turning in his grave. If I were in his position I would be horrified at the garbage products being produced with my company name on. MK stuff really is getting bad, the quality seems to drop down a step every 10 years.

I have MK Logic+ in my house, fitted 14 years ago when it was built. There is a clear difference in quality between those sockets, and the ones I bought recently.

The quality plummeted with Crabtree products when they became part of Electrium. The sockets and 13a switch fuses are proper crappy now compared to 5 or so years ago. Horrid tiny stupid little square terminals. I remember when they first changed the design, the Crabtree rep was visiting the local wholesalers, he was getting so much abuse from the electricians there he had to leave.

Was MK a British brand originally?

One of the foremost British makers of accessories, founded by Messrs. Arnold and Belling (as in Belling heaters) in about 1920. The name 'MK' came from their 'Multy-Kontact' socket design that made contact in multiple places on the plug pin. Their factory used to be in Edmonton in Middlesex.

Reply to Once quality brand on the wane? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net