Discuss Opinion on Netgear GS724Tv4? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Moley

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a change. I'm currently running a HP Procurve 2824. Nice unit but noisy and as it's in a bedroom it's a bit annoying. I've unplugged two of the three fans and it's not as noticeable as it was but I think it's time for a change. It's only a home network (probably worked that out as it's in a bedroom :rolleyes: ) and only 9 ports are currently in use (Sky box, x-box, firetv stick, NAS, printer server, 2nd wireless access point etc) but as soon as I can get my daughter to clear some of her floor (probably around 2025 at the rate she's cleaning :mad: ) so that I can lift the floorboards I'll be networking most of the house. I've been looking at a Netgear GS724Tv4, currently around £125, as it's fanless and seems to have everything I need. I haven't got any use for PoE so don't see the point in paying extra for that. Anyone got any opinions on the unit?

I've got no specific experience with that model of switch, but Netgear are one of my goto networking hardware suppliers.

I've got a couple of Netgear switches that are well over 10 years old and still going strong. But as I say, I can't comment on that particular model.

Hi SparkyChick

I had a small Netgear before I swapped to the Procurve. Seemed okay apart from the internal PSU turning up it's toes. A quick cap change brought it back to life but that fail has made me a bit suspicious. Obviously that can happen to any make but was just wondering if it was common with Netgear, using cheap capacitors maybe?

I don't know specifically with the networking gear but I have had to recap a couple of HP server motherboards we own.

Most gear these days seems to suffer premature failure in my opinion, usually for simple things like bad caps or the cheapest of cheap fans.

Thanks. I don't see me having a need for PoE at the moment. Cisco tend to be a bit dearer too.

SparkyChick, just looked at your profile picture. Do you ever go clubing in Pontypridd? I've seen lots of girls who look just like that photo :eek:

Never been to Ponty? Do you realise what you are missing out on?

Reply to Opinion on Netgear GS724Tv4? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net