Discuss Options after completing Apprenticeship? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been wondering what options I have to progress further after completing my Level 3 NVQ.
After I have finished this I will be doing my Testing and Inspection but im unsure what to aim for after this.
I was thinking maybe Electrical Design? But also unsure how to get to that position, what route to take to get there

What is it you want to achieve, working on the tools or at a desk designing for those on the tools.

What is it you want to achieve, working on the tools or at a desk designing for those on the tools.
At the moment I'm thinking more desk job, however I do really enjoy being on the tools so I'm abit stuck at the minute deciding, just thinking about the future that's all to make my life easier, I'd rather not be on the tools when I'm 50

I agree with Andy experience cannot be bought but whilst your in the mood and looking long term you could look at the HNC/HND route.

I would strongly recommend doing the design course. The knowledge you will gain will help either on the tools or with a desk job.

I would strongly recommend doing the design course. The knowledge you will gain will help either on the tools or with a desk job.
Thanks for the reply Zdb, I've been looking to find somewhere that does it but not had much luck, would the design course require Uni? Or simply a week long course?

Mine was 8-10 days spread over a few months. That's for the theory part which ends with a 3 hour written exam.

Then you must complete a project at home which is a full electrical design and creation of an operation and maintenance manual. You have 2 years to complete it but depending on how much free time you can put into it, you could possibly complete it in as quick as 6 months (good luck).

Mine was 8-10 days spread over a few months. That's for the theory part which ends with a 3 hour written exam.

Then you must complete a project at home which is a full electrical design and creation of an operation and maintenance manual. You have 2 years to complete it but depending on how much free time you can put into it, you could possibly complete it in as quick as 6 months (good luck).
Yeah thats what I was thinking it would be something as long as that, where could I apply for this course?

I got made redundant and then found a job with Matthew Hall a week later, part and parcel when an apprenticeship comes to an end.

A qualification doesn’t give experience.
Over the years I had a belly full of desk jockeys thinking the earth is flat. Later when I was piloting a desk, I’d got the experience of the real world. BTW the world is round.

A big part is, is it practical?
OK, run a 95mm² 4c SWA from point A to B. Point B is 100ft above point A, how many men do you need?
We’d ripped out an old distribution system but left a 0.3in² PILC SWA in the 100ft vertical run. Two joints, two men, end of problem.

Experience only comes with time. SORRY.

Reply to Options after completing Apprenticeship? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock