Discuss Outdoor lighting conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning hope everyone is staying safe.

I have a question for some of the more experienced sparks, I have a client that wants her outdoor corner light replaced with a PIR and at the same time another light added above the door further along the wall.

She has bought an oval bulkhead light for above the door but it is rear entry not side entry and i'm going to need a corner bracket or L bracket to fit the PIR light depending what area she wants it to light up.

The questions are....
1. Does anybody know of an oval spacer to space the bullhead off the wall with a side entry for the conduit? Or of a cheap bulkhead with a side entry on it (can tell the client to swap it)

2. For the PIR there will be some loose cable from the light itself that will be mounted off the wall on brackets to where the conduit run finishes on the wall.... what do people usually use here and is there a conduit gland or rubber blanking cap or something else to stop and water going into the conduit if that makes sense? The PIR light has a gland where the cable goes into the light.

3. The circuit the lighting circuit and is protected with an RCD but currently there is no FCU where the cable goes outside. Because il be adding the bulkhead as an extra light would I be required to put an FCU in? The only place I could put it would be an external one which in my opinion kind of defeats the object for security lights.

Hope those questions make sense it's one of those really simple looking jobs that is giving me headaches!
[automerge]1590999945[/automerge]
Sorry just read a past feed that I wrote and am I correct in saying I don't need an FCU on a lighting circuit? That would make my life easier and also from what another member has mentioned before is a wiska box the way to go for ending the conduit run? And then use some weather resistant flex cable to bridge the gap to the PIR light?

Hopefully thats 2 of my questions answered if someone could confirm thats an acceptable option. Just like to know it's being done properly
[automerge]1591001018[/automerge]
Possible solution to the bulkhead light..... would it be too bodge to drill a hole in the side of the light base big enough for the cable to go through, butt the conduit up against it and seal with silicone? Then drill another small drain hole at the bottom of the bulkhead base?

Last edited:
1. Does anybody know of an oval spacer to space the bullhead off the wall with a side entry for the conduit? Or of a cheap bulkhead with a side entry on it (can tell the client to swap it)

- Use a 20mm conduit terminal box mounted to the wall and then mount bulkhead to that. Use conduit box rubber gasket due to being outside.

2. For the PIR there will be some loose cable from the light itself that will be mounted off the wall on brackets to where the conduit run finishes on the wall.... what do people usually use here and is there a conduit gland or rubber blanking cap or something else to stop and water going into the conduit if that makes sense? The PIR light has a gland where the cable goes into the light.

- Use an insulated adaptable box (80x80) such as a wiska box with 20mm entries. Bring your conduit into this using a male adaptor and then use a compression stuffing gland from the box for the flex from the PIR light.

3. The circuit the lighting circuit and is protected with an RCD but currently there is no FCU where the cable goes outside. Because il be adding the bulkhead as an extra light would I be required to put an FCU in? The only place I could put it would be an external one which in my opinion kind of defeats the object for security lights.

- You would not be required to install a FCU if the existing over current protection device for circuit is already suitable to provide overload and fault protection for your proposed alteration. Would need more info from you to answer this accurately such as device rating and cable size.

Reply to Outdoor lighting conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net