Discuss Output Max Amps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As SZ mentions, an undriven or weakly-driven PM generator is a problem in simple series-connection. It will behave like a constant torque source, so if the drive is uncoupled it will motor in the reverse direction at unlimited speed. Thankfully, this problem can be solved by a parallel diode; back-biased when generating but forward-biased while motoring, which would reduce the available motoring voltage to a fraction of a volt and hence avoid power loss and damage.

Parallel connection has the inverse effect, behaving as a constant speed source that will drive its prime mover in the same direction if the torque falls. This is typically not harmful but is wasteful. A series diode here would cure it, but unlike the parallel diode may incur losses of a few percent under normal operation. Preventing the dynamo motoring was the reason for the 'cutout' relay in generator control boxes used for battery charging. I could go on at length about the Lucas RB340 at ths point...

erwin1991c: You intend to use these dc motors:
https://www.robotshop.com/media/files/PDF/rbban70-banebots-DC-motor-specs.pdf

Using a source of torque (wind? water?) you intend to spin them in order that they generate an emf. The first thing to say is that you will be generating a direct current. The second thing is you will need to spin them very quickly in order to generate single digit voltages. Looking at the specification, the motor can be considered as a dc generator with an output voltage of 1205rpm/Volt in series with a resistance of 12V/120A = 0.1 Ohm, where 120A is the stalled motor current so there will be no back emf. So, to produce a no-load emf of say 10 Volts, the rotor will need to turn at 12000 rpm. Is this practical in the application you intend to use the motors in?

The peak efficiency as a motor is when the rpm is 15000 and the current is 17A. In this state, the power output is 15000/1200 x 17 = 12.5 x 17 = 212 Watts. The power input is this figure plus the Ohmic loss which is 17 x 17 x 0.1 = 29W; 212 + 29 = 241W, an efficiency as a motor of 212/241 = 0.88 x 100% = 88% But this figure ignores friction and windage - the specification quotes 70% efficiency in conversion of electrical energy into mechanical work. Considering the motor as a dc generator similar reasoning applies. What the specification does not say is what are the continuous ratings for the motor to avoid it becoming too hot and being damaged. Don't expect the motor/generator to be able to deliver circa 200W and dissipate 30W for long periods.

So, some basic considerations are what speed can you spin the motor, what mechanical power do you have available (in terms of torque x rotational speed) and what electrical power output do you anticipate per 775 and require for your application? What is the range of torque-speed from your source of mechanical power? Is the peak mechanical power at the same torque-speed as those for the peak efficiency of the motor/generator?

Look up the 'maximum power transfer' theorem.

Maximum power transfer theorem - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_transfer_theorem

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for replying back to me. I've gone through all your replies and decided to drop the idea of using 100 775 motors as a generator. Thanks for enlightening me. I'd like to know what if I replaced the 775 motor with a modified ceiling fan (will install some neodymium magnets so it'll act as a generator). I'll get 230 volts by easily spinning it. I'd like to know what would be the output amps at 230 volts and how many I'll have to connect in series/parallel to get 100/200 amps.

Modifying a ceiling fan motor into a PM generator seems to be going about it the wrong way. Why not specify the torque and speed range of the driving mechanism, then find a generator that suits?

P = ωT = 2π*n*T
E.g. if each of your mechanical drives is capable of 1.5 Nm torque at 250 rpm, which I am guessing to be a representative ceiling fan maximum output:
P=6.28*250/60*1.5=39W mechanical.
If you take the generator efficiency as 70% then
100*230/0.7/39 = 842 ceiling fans to produce 100A at 230V AC 50Hz.

Of course, with a PM AC generator the drives have to be synchronous which imposes some limitations on the driving mechanism. It's difficult to make suggestions without knowing more of the background.

Are these going to be used outside, ie. wind driven? They would need to withstand the elements.

I'd also like to see the salesman's face at the local electrical store when you order 842 ceiling fans.

As Lucien said, we could do with knocking more of the background of this project.
[automerge]1573302070[/automerge]
Auto correct strikes again - obviously it should say 'knowing' in my post above.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for replying back to me. I've gone through all your replies and decided to drop the idea of using 100 775 motors as a generator. Thanks for enlightening me. I'd like to know what if I replaced the 775 motor with a modified ceiling fan (will install some neodymium magnets so it'll act as a generator). I'll get 230 volts by easily spinning it. I'd like to know what would be the output amps at 230 volts and how many I'll have to connect in series/parallel to get 100/200 amps.
Are these going to be used outside, ie. wind driven? They would need to withstand the elements.

I'd also like to see the salesman's face at the local electrical store when you order 842 ceiling fans.

As Lucien said, we could do with knocking more of the background of this project.
[automerge]1573302070[/automerge]
Auto correct strikes again - obviously it should say 'knowing' in my post above.
What Lucien said good luck

Reply to Output Max Amps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock