Discuss Overtightening Meter Terminals in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’d be doing my 5, then going round them again to double check they haven’t worked loose.

Agree with what’s been said above. Many terminals now come with a recommended torque value.
If we overtighten a mainswitch or something, you can be left with a shattered device.
I guess meter terminals are more sturdy.

The trouble here is a lot of your colleagues won’t have the thought of “am I doing this right?” Just hit the targets and get paid.
If you bring up the issue to management above you, you may not get any back up from fellow workers.

I’d be doing my 5, then going round them again to double check they haven’t worked loose.

Agree with what’s been said above. Many terminals now come with a recommended torque value.
If we overtighten a mainswitch or something, you can be left with a shattered device.
I guess meter terminals are more sturdy.

The trouble here is a lot of your colleagues won’t have the thought of “am I doing this right?” Just hit the targets and get paid.
If you bring up the issue to management above you, you may not get any back up from fellow workers.

This exactly, meter terminals are very sturdy a bit too sturdy as I think the cable will give out more then the terminal.
I understand all companies have targets but I think it’s irresponsible to promote people on speed of an installation rather then workmanship

Targets! Don't get me started!
The target system has caused more damage to this country than you will ever know...
Targets result in poor quality, anxiety for the workforce and more greed by the employers.
In my experience, if you tell your staff what would be a good turnover, but don't insist on it, they always perform better, go the extra mile, and don't try to hide shoddy performance because there rarely is shoddy work...they are relaxed, do a good job and customer feedback is positive.
Targets?
NO!!!!

I always wrap the conductors and they rarely need retightening as conductors don't shift.
Overtightening Meter Terminals 20190601_160506 - EletriciansForums.net

I always wrap the conductors and they rarely need retightening as conductors don't shift.
Would the modern equivalent be using bootlace ferrules ?

I've been on the other side of the "is it tight" problem. Was doing some work in a church and the meter fitter has obviously had the strength of a weak spider - almost every terminal was loose. I had someone in from the DNO for other reasons, and while he was sorting out the neutral block (removing a redundant neutral cable, and fixing the "strand missed the hole" problem with the neutral tail from the meter) he ... found the other end of the neutral tail seemed loose.
Opened up the meter to check (if he hadn't noticed it, I was going to ask) and all six tails were loose - and the neutral had come out :eek:
As best I can tell from the meter change ticket, it was done about 9 years ago by BG (or someone working for them).

Would the modern equivalent be using bootlace ferrules ?

I've been on the other side of the "is it tight" problem. Was doing some work in a church and the meter fitter has obviously had the strength of a weak spider - almost every terminal was loose. I had someone in from the DNO for other reasons, and while he was sorting out the neutral block (removing a redundant neutral cable, and fixing the "strand missed the hole" problem with the neutral tail from the meter) he ... found the other end of the neutral tail seemed loose.
Opened up the meter to check (if he hadn't noticed it, I was going to ask) and all six tails were loose - and the neutral had come out :eek:
As best I can tell from the meter change ticket, it was done about 9 years ago by BG (or someone working for them).
“all six tails were loose” what type of meter was that as they are generally 4 or 5 on SP or 8 on 3P

Recently did a consumer unit that specified 2.4Nm for the main switch terminals which were 25sq.
Think it would be worth investing in a torque set 'for your own benefit' if unsure how tight the meter terminals should be, but as a guide 2.4Nm!

Wouldn’t know , I use my impact driver these days ...:rolleyes:

Have you never had to replace a breaker or carry out an EICR where 'someone' (Language is stronger on-site!) has used an impact drill to tighten the terminals and you cant get undone?

Have you never had to replace a breaker or carry out an EICR where 'someone' (Language is stronger on-site!) has used an impact drill to tighten the terminals and you cant get undone?
An impact driver to tighten cable terminations is nothing short of Butchery, using this type of driver for terminating is all down to get it done, get paid and FTO.

“all six tails were loose” what type of meter was that as they are generally 4 or 5 on SP or 8 on 3P
It is a 3ph meter on a 1ph supply. I have no idea why he didn't use a Henley block on the live side - but he used two phases on the meter and fitted two isolators to feed the 4 fuseboards o_O

I don’t actually use an impact driver for terminations

I just use a regular screw driver

But I have witnessed some of the ‘young breed’ use impacts on consumer units :eek:

Reply to Overtightening Meter Terminals in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock