Discuss Pearls of Wisdom in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markhtly

OK,a question to those of you who have run/or have run your own business before.

What do you think is the one single,most importany piece of advice you could give to somebody that is looking to start their own business?

Post you 'Pearls of Wisdom' here please :D

Contact the small business advisory service they are free and will advise you on all aspects from tax to advertsing drawing up a business plan etc etc

Considering the cost:D well worth a visit and could save you from making expensive mistakes.

Chris

Contact the small business advisory service they are free and will advise you on all aspects from tax to advertsing drawing up a business plan etc etc

Considering the cost:D well worth a visit and could save you from making expensive mistakes.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

I have a meeting next week with someone from Business Link with regards to pretty much the same things.Biggest concern for me and I suppose most people,is actually obtaining the work! :D

Yes mate business link are one in the same just couldnt remember their name. Best idea is do a few things in your own house and then for mates if you can. It gives you the practice and the confidence to carry on and you can use those jobs for NICEIC or whoever you feel is best for you

Best of luck and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Chris

Make sure you keep excellent accounting records and after each big job i.e. rewire sit down and compare the acutal costs to that of the estimate.

Also keep plugging away at it as it takes time to get estabished and look after you best clients and if you have good core clients you will always be able put food on the table.

Told to me by a window fitter I know.

If you turn up to a customer's house and they've got artificial stone cladding on the outside, then you can sell them anything.:D

Yes, it can take a long time to build up your own client base.

I would recommend contacting local electrical companies and offering your services as a sub contractor as well as doing your own jobs for builders and private customers. It never hurts to put yourself around a bit and you will be suprised where your main breaks come. Be prepared for some knockbacks, give more than is expected of you and always be honest. What goes around, comes around, and 'good will' always comes back to you.

Best advice ever?
Do something else.
Failing that, try this.
Small fire will heat you big fire will burn you. ;)
Theres a better living to be made doing the small jobs than pricing against the muppets that think they are contractors because they done a four week 'course'.

Yes, it can take a long time to build up your own client base.

I would recommend contacting local electrical companies and offering your services as a sub contractor as well as doing your own jobs for builders and private customers. It never hurts to put yourself around a bit and you will be suprised where your main breaks come. Be prepared for some knockbacks, give more than is expected of you and always be honest. What goes around, comes around, and 'good will' always comes back to you.

Just be careful when subbing. I know a couple of lads one an electrician, and another a flat roofer. They have trouble with quite a few builders, when it comes to getting paid. Most builders work on stage payments and expect others to as well!!.

As for private customers always consult with them at all times. You will be working in their house so they like to be involved. I consult with my customers at every stage and advise all the time. They like that. Communication is the key. Also I make it a rule to only run one job at a time. Customers hate living in a building site for longer than is necessary and you disappearing for days at a time won't go down well.

I aggree about the problems involved in subbiing. The key is to build up a relationship with the contractor. Give them your details then and let them come to you. Sort out prices in writing before you start (no matter how small the job) and let them know that the prices include testing & Registration etc. Cowboys and chancers tend to be frightened away by officialdom.
With customers, I also agree that they need to be consulted every step of the way. Get them to make the decisions and never presume that they want something a particular way or you'll end up changing things at your own cost. Be as professional as possible at all times and you will attract the right kind of people.

Did anyone say that it would be easy?

Reply to Pearls of Wisdom in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock