Discuss Pick the bones outa this EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Went to take a look at a CU replacement earlier after customer had an EICR for the purposes of wanting to let out his flat. I dont carry out EICR's myself but thought this ones not right, theres alot of it missing for a start. Just thought would post and see what you pro's make of it. One question thou, isnt an EICR meant to be 100% of fixed wiring and accessories for letting purposes

Attachments

• EICR FORUM.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 67
Not picking bones....not even looking at present, but how could an EICR possibly include 100% of fixed wiring when it's only possible to gain access to a small fraction of it?

I would say 100% of ‘accessible’ items to be checked as in ‘easily accessible’

I know a few sparks who now list loft wiring as ‘inaccessible’

Not picking bones....not even looking at present, but how could an EICR possibly include 100% of fixed wiring when it's only possible to gain access to a small fraction of it?
Yeah slip of words there, I meant full range of tests, the report is for a 1 bed flat.

Yes accessible items thats nailed it, in this case its sockets, lights, lightswitches, erm, cooker isolator, and thats it I think, and a wall mounted storage heater,

Had a quick look. 'Extent and limitations of testing' supposedly explains how far he has gone with the testing. To some extent it explains how little he has agreed to do with the EICR. It seems that anything lacking RCD protection is a C2. As you indicate, plenty of bone picking opportunities.
Plenty of urgent remedial action required but little definite explanation.

Last edited:
Confirmation of earthing system, main earthing and main bonding and also supplementary bonding is an absolute essential for any EICR to have any meaning. All of which have been marked as LIM.
An unidentified circuit should be coded as FI.
I hope the customer hasn't paid a lot for this report, because it's practically worthless.

Thats a £60 EICR if ever I saw it.

All observations could just be summed up by saying there is no RCD for any circuits, but clearly by doing multiple observations of basically the same thing it looks like more work has been done.

No R1+R2 or R2 all as N/A, well no for every circuit its applicable apart from maybe a lighting circuit with no cpc, but clearly this is not the case as all circuits have a cpc conductor size. Maybe a LIM?

DB2 aparently has 2.5mm cable on a 32A mcb, Clearly not a ring as r1,rn and r2 are N/A, last time I checked 2.5mm cable cannot carry 32A.

Very bizare that DB1 sockets have exactly the same r1, r2, rn readings as DB1 economy heater. Unlikely a heater would be on a ring and again on 32A. Copy and paste me thinks.

Apparently used was a megger 1711 but only recording insulation resistance tests as >10, the meter goes upto 999, how is that helpful to determine in 5yrs time if the insulation resistance has deteriorated?

Apart from the Ze, PFC I and end to end of what I am going to presume is socket circuit only I dont really see a lot of merit to this EICR. I am betting when the guy said its a fail you need a new consumer unit he also said I dont do them.. I think I would be wanting to do a proper EICR before changing the board and be suggesting the customer go back to this guy and ask for his money back..

I like the statement on the last page "This Report is an important and valuable document... "!

Virtually no measurements, the very few recorded (if actually done) likely took all of 10 minutes.
Curious for example that the E7 heater ring has the exact same r1/rN/r2 values as the socket RFC, perhaps if it looked liked it took the same wiring route, it ought to read the same!

I usually try to elucidate out how long the 'electrican' was on site testing, sometimes it turns out to be a surprisingly short time!

Yet another useless EICR to add to the others seen on here
I wonder how many of those the author of that EICR knocks out in a week as very little effort has been put into producing it
The dodgy EICR's we see on here are only the tip of a very big iceberg that is not doing the industry any good IMO

Yep it's a real take on; not sure how much it cost the customer I didn't ask and have turned the job down. I told him get another local electrician who can do the whole lot as this chance only does eicr's and not the remedial (not surprising).

Is this a metal conduit install, as there don't seem to be too many CPC's floating around....
Or to put it another way, every circuit on the schedule has a CPC size listed, where are they all?

Pick the bones outa this EICR 1626959692268 - EletriciansForums.net

Is this a metal conduit install, as there don't seem to be too many CPC's floating around....
Or to put it another way, every circuit on the schedule has a CPC size listed, where are they all?

View attachment 87909
Yeh its conduit for lights and some other circuits. Had a lightswitch faceplate off while I was there and conduit not connected to back box as it been moved slightly; metal switch aswell. In a nutshell I told customer I'm not replacing unit on the back of that report as it's ####ed and no time to fix all the faults that would undoubtedly be there. And yeah that's right not many cpc,s as most in conduit.

I’d concur with that especially if said space was also full of junk but then I suppose ‘inaccessible’ is as described!

I don’t do EICR’s I’m afraid. Just commenting on DD’s post above. Is there any official guidance on the minimum extent of EICR’s for landlords?

Reply to Pick the bones outa this EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock