Discuss PLC help required for beginner in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just got hold of a FX3U-24MR unit. I've no previous experience with PLC's at all but have a little with Arduino and Rpi, so I'm hoping to teach myself as I go and looking for a good community to help.

I've got a project at work which I'm going to start - it's basically a motor and safety brake which has a braking monitor system to detect whether the brake is on/off, temperature, wear monitoring and a few other requirements.

Now for the silly questions...

1). The PLC came with a RS232 cable... is that what I program is with? I've only got a laptop so can I get a USB interface?

2). What program do I need to install so I can play around with ladder logic and download to the PLC etc? It says it's compatible with GX-developer and GX-work2. Are these free? Finally, does it burn it to the PLC or does it need to run live via the data cable?

Hopefully someone can help me get started and any other tips, no matter how simple they are would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi
You can download free fx configuration software, hi on the other hand as far as I know isn’t free and unfortunately very expensive..
USB to rs 232 cables are a standard item..
The program is downloaded from the pc into the plc ram or sometimes flash memory..

Before you get started you need to make a list of all your inputs and outputs and then create your self a flow chart to work from before building your ladders

If this system has to be safety rated. That PLC will not cut the mustard I'm afraid.

As has been mentioned, RS232 to USB converters are common an pretty cheap.

GX developer is used to program mitsubishi HMI's (GOTs in mitsubishi language). GX works is for programming the PLC. An no, it's not free.

If this system has to be safety rated. That PLC will not cut the mustard I'm afraid.

GX developer is used to program mitsubishi HMI's (GOTs in mitsubishi language). GX works is for programming the PLC. An no, it's not free.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. It's for a trade show only and will be sat on a bench. No real life safety required at all - just a demo piece.

As mentioned they are not free software.

You can program ladder with GX Developer as well.
Have a look on RS Components for prices.

USB to rs 232 cables are a standard item..
Getting the right driver is half the battle here
(Unless you start a whole new battle with another OS like Linux ..where they may already be built in !)
...My Rpi / Arduino next step -- single board currently uses Betaflight-configurator ... but I won't drone-On !

GX Developer will only program Mitsubishi plc's. It will not program hmi's
Same for Gx Works 2.
The programming cable is called an SC09
They are expensive from RS but Chinese copy's on ebay are about £20 and they are usb
Gx developer is no longer up to date. Gx Works 2 covers the latest plcs.
If this brake unit supplies analogue values for temperature and wear etc, you will also need an A/D converter for the plc.
I have been programming plcs, hmi's and scada for 25 years
So anything you want to ask.... Feel free

Reply to PLC help required for beginner in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock