Discuss Please advise me. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KTM

Hi everybody. First of all I'd like to thankyou for taking the time to look at my post. I'm currently looking into doing a course to become a qualified electrician and I dont want to spend hard cash on a course if it's a monkey ticket, when I've completed the course I'll have the following qualifications, will these qualifications enable me to work in the domestic and industrial sectors?, any advise would be good, here's a link to the course I'm thinking of doing: Electrical Engineer Course PEC-1

City & Guilds 2392: Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations.

City & Guilds 2382: The 17th Edition of the Institute of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations.

City & Guilds 2377: Electrical Portable Appliance Testing.

Domestic Installer Certificate (for Part P certification) - Full Scope.

CSCS Site Safety Card.

Essential Electrics.

Appointed Persons First Aid.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody. First of all I'd like to thankyou for taking the time to look at my post. I'm currently looking into doing a course to become a qualified electrician and I dont want to spend hard cash on a course if it's a monkey ticket, when I've completed the course I'll have the following qualifications, will these qualifications enable me to work in the domestic and industrial sectors?, any advise would be good, here's a link to the course I'm thinking of doing: Electrical Engineer Course PEC-1

City & Guilds 2392: Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations.

City & Guilds 2382: The 17th Edition of the Institute of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations.

City & Guilds 2377: Electrical Portable Appliance Testing.

Domestic Installer Certificate (for Part P certification) - Full Scope.

CSCS Site Safety Card.

Essential Electrics.

Appointed Persons First Aid.

Thanks in advance.

This part suprise's me when you go to link

The17th Edition Regulations are a legal requirement from 1 July 2008. All students will sit this examination to comply with the new legislation:eek:

When did the regs become a legal requirement?:confused:

This part suprise's me when you go to link

The17th Edition Regulations are a legal requirement from 1 July 2008. All students will sit this examination to comply with the new legislation:eek:

When did the regs become a legal requirement?:confused:

Hi Ian, Thanks for taking the time to respond!, I can't state when or if the regs became law because I really don't know the answer to that, could part P have something to do with it?, I'm just learning the very basics of practical electricity to prepare myself for a course, do you know if the above qualifications will allow me to work in the domestic and industrial sectors? and are there any limits to the work I'll be allowed to do?.

I have read that C&G 2392 is the new industry standard for the old C&G 2360 P1&P2. Is this true?, Any help or information would be really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian, Thanks for taking the time to respond!, I can't state when or if the regs became law because I really don't know the answer to that, could part P have something to do with it?, I'm just learning the very basics of practical electricity to prepare myself for a course, do you know if the above qualifications will allow me to work in the domestic and industrial sectors? and are there any limits to the work I'll be allowed to do?.

I have read that C&G 2392 is the new industry standard for the old C&G 2360 P1&P2. Is this true?, Any help or information would be really appreciated.

C&G 2330 is the new (3 or 4 yrs old now) standard for the old 2360 parts 1 & 2
C&G 2392 is the new standard for the current 2391 test & inspection, & I belive has been split into different sections (made easier)
C&G 2382-10 is the new 17th edition wiring regulations

Shame Tony wasnt here he be able to give the full low down on course numbers.

That's right Easyfox but I wouldn't waste your time with PAT testing quals. It is the --- end of sparking and really, only the 'dunces' in a company are the ones to do it because it is mind numbing. I would simply stick with your 2330, 2391 test & inspection, 17th Ed regs and then maybe your CSCS card as some sites require it. I have mine but have never been asked for it.
Hope that helps

That's right Easyfox but I wouldn't waste your time with PAT testing quals. It is the --- end of sparking and really, only the 'dunces' in a company are the ones to do it because it is mind numbing. I would simply stick with your 2330, 2391 test & inspection, 17th Ed regs and then maybe your CSCS card as some sites require it. I have mine but have never been asked for it.
Hope that helps

Exactly the answer I'm after Cirrus, I don't want to just do PAT testing, thankyou for being straight to the point, I'll dismiss that course and look into taking the 2330, 2391 & 17th Edition Regs. These companies that do these course's will tell you anything to sale them, this is exactly why I came to the pro's for advise.

Thanks for the advice lads.

im not sure about numbers, mine are c&g 236 and 239 for testing .buts that old money our apprentices are trained up to nvq level 3
have you had a look at the jib site?
if you do your qualifications now won't you be trained to 17th standard anyway?
as for cscs cards practically any work on commercial sites require them

Although you won't be trained to 17th Ed, any college worth its salt (like mine) will let you do the update in course time and sit the exam for only £20;)

have you had a look at the jib site?

Thanks for the info on the JIB site Wayne, the JIB states to be of an ELECTRICIAN GRADE you need to fulfill the following criterea. JIB Grading Definitions - Electrician Grade.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Qualifications and Training[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Must satisfy the following three conditions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Must have been a registered apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Must have obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note 1:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians' Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.[/FONT]

Hopefully this thread will help any other neewbies like myself looking to become a sparky, thanks your time again lads! hope I've not offended the real sparks in anyway regarding this topic as I know you've all forgotten more than I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that you ONLY have to do NVQ level 3 if you want to be classed as an 'electrician' according to the JIB! I haven't done level 3 ( AM2 practical exam and log book) because it is a waste of cash. I have no intentions of ever working for a JIB company because these are the co's who pay the least! You can call yourself a 'qualified' electrician by doing your 3 years at college - you don't necessarily need to bother with a 4th year

some co's when recruiting don't look beyond your qualification level, if they have 2 cv's in front of them they'll look at qualification first . if you intend to become self employed maybe you can get away with minimal qualifications .
Time and experience are also a big asset

hiya, In my opinion, getting your qualifications will be your ticket into the industry, as I found it hard to get a job after my course I took at technique training. As long as you study after and during your work, the more you put in the better, and better prospects.

shop around all the courses to make sure your getting the best deal and teaching, welcome to the website and good luck to your new chosen career ;)

regards luke

C&G 2330 is the new (3 or 4 yrs old now) standard for the old 2360 parts 1 & 2
C&G 2392 is the new standard for the current 2391 test & inspection, & I belive has been split into different sections (made easier)
C&G 2382-10 is the new 17th edition wiring regulations

Shame Tony wasnt here he be able to give the full low down on course numbers.

C&G 2392 is the Fundamental Certificate in Inspection & Testing. Its meant as a course for the inexperienced tester before undertaking the much harder 2391. It concentrates on Initial Verification only (no Periodics), with a simplified test board and an online multi choice exam, as opposed to the 2391's written exam

Its Level 2, and if you do the EAL Domestic Installer's course, you will be hitting inspection & testing at pretty much the same level on the 2392

And remember, you dont 'need' anything to call yourself an electrician, its not a protected term with minimum requirements. But obviously the more quals and experience you get, the better

hope this helps

I've heard from the NIC that you have up to 18 months from the 1st July to do the 17th edition test. But you have to work with the new regs. Sounds weird but its what I've been told as alot of the colleges can't cope with the mass numbers of people trying to enroll on the 17th edition course.

I've heard from the NIC that you have up to 18 months from the 1st July to do the 17th edition test. But you have to work with the new regs. Sounds weird but its what I've been told as alot of the colleges can't cope with the mass numbers of people trying to enroll on the 17th edition course.

The 17th edition update curse has a life of two years if thats what they mean..... if you join the NIC's Domestic Installer scheme NOW, their blurb says you must have it to join

Reply to Please advise me. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock