Discuss Plug in 2kw heater in shed Will it go kaboom??! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I use my shed for pottery and it’s currently wired to have 2 sockets and a light switch (fused down from one of the sockets). Currently I draw less than 300 watts of power. As it’s getting cold I’d like to plug in a heater out there but my husband says it’s not a good idea as my shed isn’t wired up for that, (he might just be being tight) and he’s definitely no electrician, so
I’ve come here looking for guidance!!!

From the information on our consumer unit and a bit of investigation I know it is wired on a 20Amp Rcbo with 2.5mm T&E clipped to the joists under the floor of the house it then exits the house to an outdoor socket and then from there, there is a run of 2.5mm SWA to my pottery shed. That terminates inside the shed to a junction box and the sockets are fed from there. There’s approx 20m of internal wiring plus 20m of outdoor SWA. Is it safe to plug in my 2kw heater please?

Reactions: DPG
No it will be fine. The light may 'dip' a bit when the heater is turned on but nothing to worry about.

Full marks to the OP for asking a good question and giving all relevant details!
Awww thanks I did search the forums first to see if a similar question had already been asked (worryingly it seems there’s quite alot of people running power to sheds with absolutely no clue) so I had a heads up first of what info was required. Just glad to have the reassurance that Im not going to nuke myself!

Reply to Plug in 2kw heater in shed Will it go kaboom??! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net