Discuss Potential job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Got a lead on a job; they’re wanting metal trays (containment) with steel conduit to create the ‘industrial look’. I’m cool with their needs; explained about fire alarms/emergency lighting and they talked about doing it ‘piece meal’. With the area being used for a venue, it all needs sorting before anyone walks in. Any thoughts or advice? TIA.

we don't use conduit with tray. conduit goes with trunking.

You're behind the times, flexshield on cable tray for the high level runs with steel conduit drops down to accessories is all the rage these days.

12" tray everywhere looks more 'industrial' and its all about making it look like there is a lot of shiny metalwork as cheaply as possible.

You're behind the times, flexshield on cable tray for the high level runs with steel conduit drops down to accessories is all the rage these days.

12" tray everywhere looks more 'industrial' and its all about making it look like there is a lot of shiny metalwork as cheaply as possible.
so conduit is coupler and bush into bottom of tray?

look out for any local warehouses or factories being closed down or demolished (

You might be able to get in there and nab all the old tray and conduit before it’s skipped ((obviously with permission)

Sometimes, though usually it just ends in free air somewhere near the tray with a coupler and bush on it.

Look up in any modern restaurant or shop and you'll see loads of this crap.

You also see downlights mounted into tray

I absolutely hate this. See it as common practice in supermarkets, gyms, large shop units etc now.

Completely get what you’re saying. Having now met with the client, they’re quite positive they want the tray work running all round the upper part with galvanised conduit running down to the sockets. I get the impression they’ve seen it elsewhere and thought ‘that’s what we want’.

Often FP or T&E on the trays then dropped down in conduit using flexi con to the galv tube or the tube just floating about near the tray.

Often FP or T&E on the trays then dropped down in conduit using flexi con to the galv tube or the tube just floating about near the tray.
not on my watch. conduit box screwed to tray, conduit from there. adequately supported .( even if just top and bottom.)

edi: meant bolted not screwed.

Last edited:
Just a few twin and earths cable tied to a blue water pipe, roughly clipped to metal clad socket. 20mm hole with no gromit.

Industrial, right?:oops:

Well. Some of the industrial units round me are like that

Reply to Potential job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock