Discuss Power line adaptors in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
not sure if anyone will be able to answer this for me.
I have internet in my house but not getting a good signal on wifi. I was thinking about getting some power line adapters that use the wiring to get better signals around the house. As I have not used these before I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Also I have heard that the adapters have to be on the same circuit, I was hoping to have one on the circuit where the router is and then add a few around the house but they will all be on different circuits. Would this mean that they would not work?
if anyone can help I would be very grateful.
APE37

I have used powerline adapters for a couple of years now, some ones given to my brother from BT than he didn't use.

They worked great, worked across different circuits, even through extension leads and gave about 15Mbps speed. Just recently though they started playing up and now I do well to get 1Mbps through them. I'm running some cat 5 through the floor at the weekend to replace them.

I have Devolo adaptors in our house and we have a rcbo board. the rcd's do affect the performance. That said they are still better than WiFi

And if you have lots of chargers plugged in they do affect the speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some of them require they're plugged into the same phase not the same circuit. As long as you have a single phase CU they should work great.

Well that was weird. As I was looking at this thread my connection dropped off, that never happens. I just reset my powerline adapter and now I'm getting 35Mbps. They've not been working right since new year !!

I think some of them require they're plugged into the same phase not the same circuit. As long as you have a single phase CU they should work great.

I confirm they work on different circuits as they work in my shed from my loft and both different circuits but same phase

Reply to Power line adaptors in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net