Discuss Pricing an extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys new to this forums. Recently went self employed and out on my own after working for someone for 7 years, Currently working as a subcontractor and starting to get jobs in to price, Can any one advise what the best way is to price? Ie points or day rate if points is £50 supply & fit reasonable & is day rate of £230 -£30ph reasonable? I have a ball park figure for this extension was going for 4 days, reason for this is I dont know what the existing smoke circuits are like to interlink new ones into & not sure where consumer unit will be to take new circuits back. Any help would be appreciated guys

Pricing an extension 59BA192D-669B-46DD-98AA-A1C3A41B5D6F - EletriciansForums.net

£60 per point if basic white plastic. you missed off a zero on your day rate, poits like shower/cooker etc, £100 per point. dont forget that a light switch is a point. make sure existing CU is capable or price for new, £350 -£600 depending what you fit.

So from the spec there is

10 double sockets £600
2 light switches £120
1 Fan switch £60
1 Fan £60
4 pendants £240
1 smoke £60

So on the point system this would total £1140

This is excluding the CU as not sure what current condition/size

My ball park figure would have been around £800-900 for labour only if was charging by day rate

Prices aren't too far apart

I think the point system could be the way forward if new build/rewire etc.

Whats your thoughts on these prices for this extension spec

Per item on a pro rata basis is the easiest and best way for this type of job once you’ve found your feet, will take a bit of trial and error till you find your best prices..
If you’re thinking 4 days then price it at 4 days plus materials with say 20% mark up..You might do it in 2 days, therefore you’ve made an extra 2 days in your price..
Against MI to mix makes of smokes,etc..
How old is property? If approx 10 years old then they all need changing..
You boys are on the ball up there so make sure you have CO detectors where necessary.
Don’t forget to allow for prelims.

Finally, I really don’t like the layout of that kitchen. Hob squeezed into the corner between 2 opening doors.. WM & TD located in the new part, its playing havoc with my feng shui.

Price per point works really well on new works , if it’s all open ceilings and you can get your cables in easily and quickly.
Some extensions can be a pain getting cables back to the consumers unit position so just check the route first before committing a price...I personally would want to check this first

Yes definitely check first..
Or be asking for more details and if possible date of installation and any EICRs..
We started a job 2 weeks ago of spec.
House recently purchased, all ok in the surveys..
Start work and all the existing wiring is full of greening..
So new circuits as opposed to additions.
You need to cover your backside and make sure you have a disclaimer for unknown works.

Per item

Finally, I really don’t like the layout of that kitchen. Hob squeezed into the corner between 2 opening doors.. WM & TD located in the new part, its playing havoc with my feng shui.

I bet my bottom dollar the sink and hob have been left in their old locations to keep costs down avoiding moving the gas and sink drainage

Yes definitely check first..
Or be asking for more details and if possible date of installation and any EICRs..
We started a job 2 weeks ago of spec.
House recently purchased, all ok in the surveys..
Start work and all the existing wiring is full of greening..
So new circuits as opposed to additions.
You need to cover your backside and make sure you have a disclaimer for unknown works.

Agree

A 3-4 day job can very easily turn into a full weeks work if you are not careful.
Fine if you are on an hourly rate , but if you have fixed a price It can become very awkward .
I have been burned many times for not checking certain things before hand

So from the spec there is

10 double sockets £600
2 light switches £120
1 Fan switch £60
1 Fan £60
4 pendants £240
1 smoke £60

So on the point system this would total £1140

Whats your thoughts on these prices for this extension spec

About right for all cheap white plastic accessories

At £60 per point you should be ok

As I say , just be wary of having to get new feeds back to the board

Allow time for disconnecting and removing old wiring prelim works..
Testing and inspection too.
A lot of your sockets are close to each other too, so wil work out nice there on a price

Thanks for the tips guys .. Probably would be wise to state on quote that it does not include any other additional works on existing smokes/CU and assuming they are in good condition to connect new circuits in to & any other works involved on these items ie, CU upgrading due to lack of circuit space or Smoke alarms changed to new models etc, If there are old will be charged as an extra.. With my experience working with a 1 man band for 7 years i know what some customers can be like they just expect you do fix everything in your price or even worse they add extras on and expect to pay the same price

Thanks for the tips guys .. Probably would be wise to state on quote that it does not include any other additional works on existing smokes/CU and assuming they are in good condition to connect new circuits in to & any other works involved on these items ie, CU upgrading due to lack of circuit space or Smoke alarms changed to new models etc, If there are old will be charged as an extra.. With my experience working with a 1 man band for 7 years i know what some customers can be like they just expect you do fix everything in your price or even worse they add extras on and expect to pay the same price

Yes be wary of add ons or unexpected things

I had a job quite recently where a family friend was redecorating their lounge area,
They asked me to add a couple extra double sockets.
I gave them a price over the phone based on the room being completely clear of furniture and all carpets rolled back ready to do the job.
I
Got there and they hadn’t prepared the room at all.
I spent my first hour moving all the furniture to one side to roll half the carpet up then had to repeat this to do the other side.
What I allowed half a day to do took me an entire day.
But I had given them a price so I just sucked it up

I had a job quite recently where a family friend was redecorating their lounge area,
I gave them a price over the phone based on the room being completely clear of furniture and all carpets rolled back ready to do the job.
I
I spent my first hour moving all the furniture to one side to roll half the carpet up then had to repeat this to do the other side.
What I allowed half a day to do took me an entire day.
Your terms were clear so if it wasn't a family friend I would have charged accordingly.

I
What I allowed half a day to do took me an entire day.ds
I won’t do mates rates or family friends jobs. EVER!

Reply to Pricing an extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock