Discuss Private rented accommodation, Scotland in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Question for primarily electricians working in Scotland. In, for example, a two story semi-detached property, are you installing smoke detectors in both the lower and upper hall or in just the upper hall.
My understanding was that both the upper and lower landings had to be covered (as well as living room and a heat in the kitchen). My practice has been challenged by another electrician, who thinks only the upper landing requires a detector.

The Technical Handbook Domestic says ... " at least 1 smoke alarm in every circulation space such as hallways and landings....". The standard in new build is both lower and upper landings.

Should both landing and hallway....only time you would used landing only, would be on a complete open staircase, were smoke would rise to the highest point.

Should both landing and hallway....only time you would used landing only, would be on a complete open staircase, were smoke would rise to the highest point.

Thanks T. In a typical 2 story domestic dwelling, smoke finding its way into a lower hall would inevitably then migrate to the upper landing. I guess I'm looking for a definitive interpretation of the regs/ tech handbook. I've been clear that both the lower hall and upper landing should be covered, but realise I can't find the specifics written down.

You could argue that the stair and front door is the escape route. And that if there was a fire down stairs, by the time the smoke has reached the upper landing detector, the stairs could be impassable.

Hum..... I think 1 on each floor is the best solution - as for just one on the landing - could it be too late when that one goes off?

Best way to explain this, is to think about rising smoke.....in a normal house, smoke would be trapped by the lower or hallway ceiling, filling the area before rising to the next level ceiling. As pointed out, this is valuable escape time being used. so 100% detector on each level.....A big open grand staircase, you would only come across in a mansion, would be a straight, unobstructed void to the next level, allowing smoke to rise instantly to the highest point, the top level ceiling. So this would be the only time a single detector would b used.

Circulation space and not more than 3.5m from any doors to other rooms.

also if you have drop in ceiling height through beams or arch decoration , if beam more than 10 percent it requires another.

Last edited:

Reply to Private rented accommodation, Scotland in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock