Discuss Problem with shower - MIRA Shower leaking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

I was wondreing if anyone could help with the issue I have at home.

I have a MIRA offset quadrant shower (built around 3/4 years ago approx), and I am having leakings (see attached the photos). I have tried to put some silicone several times but the water is still going out somehow from where the wall connects to the tray and from where the tray connects with the enclosure, and I presume the floor is quite wet at this point.

I am no expert in removing the tray, so I was wondering if it would be better ask a plumber to come, lift the shower and try to get it installed properly or change shower straight away and ensure whoever comes and installs it does it in a proper way.

I was wondering if I could get some ideas, so I don't spend a lot of money on this!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_153112.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210428_153105.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 17
Shower cubicles are notorious for leaking, very difficult to maintain water tightness on something that constantly moves when being used, not what you want to hear I know, but if you are going to take it out, look at a more stable shower base i.e ceramic rather than plastic.

Just a note.
Shower cubicles and doors should only have silicone on the outside only.
If you do the inside the water/condensation builds up on the inside and will come out as you're describing. Try cleaning off all the silicone and dry everything right off.
Then use 'Plumbers Gold' around all of the tray inside, and all of the frame (sides and bottom) outside.
Also check the rubber seal between the doors, these wear out quite often and you can get new ones online, but check the profile of the seals as they are all different.

Fill the trap up with water and mark the height with a pencil. leave overnight and see if it has dropped. Also check the tray for cracks, 2 part expoxy resin will repair a crack.

Check all the tiles for missing grout, I tend to run a bead of silicone down all corners of the tiles as these are prone to crack in the grout lines. If you ever retile use plasterers fibre tape on the corners first, this bonds it all together tight.

Poor installation is usually the issue. Putting a tray on top of old floor boards for instance will have movement. As post above, the cubicles are not to be siliconed inside as they have drains that allow the frame to drain out. Also, cleaning the surfaces properly before silicone is applied (i use isopropyl alcohol) to remove any grease or release agents used for the moulds in the manufacturing process - old installations will have all sorts of grime that must be cleared.

Reply to Problem with shower - MIRA Shower leaking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net