Discuss Problem with vent axia solo plus fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leeaustin91

Hi everyone I have a problem with a vent axia solo plus extractor fan, I've got the casing off and everything seems to be wired up correctly however the fan itself will not spin when the fan is switched on, but if you give the fan a slight nudge it will operate correctly, anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

tight bearings or blades catching. muck?

tight bearings or blades catching. muck?
I have the same problem. I have taken the unit apart and cleaned everything out. There wasn't a huge amount of muck around the motor or fan but I got rid of it all, anyway.

Looking at the unit, the fan is mounted over the motor, I've had the fan blade off but I can't see how the bearings could be adjusted (if it's that). Since taking the extractor apart and putting back in place, it still doesn't start without a nudge but it does seem to turn faster than it did before.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

CptT

Squirt of WD40, but also make sure the housing is not being distorted when fixing the fan back to the wall/ceiling.
and if it's a poweful fan, look out for a pair of the Mrs' knickers stuck in it.

Even if the bearing are 'sealed for life' they will fail eventually and appear to tighten as the friction within increases.
Only viable sense is to replace the whole unit!

Even if the bearing are 'sealed for life' they will fail eventually and appear to tighten as the friction within increases.
Only viable sense is to replace the whole unit!
too much reliance these days of " if it's faulty, bin it and buy new", when a half hour spent could prolong it's usefullife for years. lost count of the number of appliances i've fixed, some rescued from council tip to last for a few more years.

Even if the bearings are sealed for life a squirt of WD40 will get past the shields and may allow the fan to operate normally for a few more months/years.

Oh dear we had very and I mean very high winds last night and just heard a noise outside and one of our very mature nine metre tall fir trees has fallen over, luckily not over the road, but has taken down the suspended armoured cable to our Barn, suppose it's time to get out the chain saw.

too much reliance these days of " if it's faulty, bin it and buy new", when a half hour spent could prolong it's usefullife for years. lost count of the number of appliances i've fixed, some rescued from council tip to last for a few more years.
Depends on the appliance, and the fault!
In this case lubricating might help but depends how well sealed the bearing is in the first place.
If really worn it is only delaying the inevitable and if so, not efficient and actually costing more to run (albeit in this case micro pennies!!)

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to bin it. It's not the cost, it's just a matter of trying to repair rather than replace. I'm not generally much of a tree-hugger but it seems like a waste. I'll chuck some WD-40 on it and see if it helps.

Is there anywhere I could buy a new motor? I know that's still replacing a part but it's better than the whole lot.

Good luck with the fallen tree!

Reply to Problem with vent axia solo plus fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net