Discuss Protective conductor in T&E in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Been in electrical/electronics for many years and am now semi retired but keeping my hand in, but is it just me, my age or what but back in the eighties / ninties nothing seemed to change that much and yes there was far less choice in fittings. Having spent more time in industrial than domestic and always needing answers I prefer radial circuits over rings but in industrial running singles I would use the same CSA for the CPC as the other conductors so why in 2.5 and 4.0mm T&E is the CPC only 1.5mm?

To disconnect a 32amp protective device requires a fault current greater than a 1.5mm can handle so is the reliance on the RCD, ie in theory the RCD will disconnect before the full fault current flows? Seems like relying on the unknown.

It’s all to do with speed of disconnection of supply

to destroy a piece of 1.5csa copper conductor you would have to run 100s of amps down it for quite a while

The 1.5mm CPC meets the adiabatic limit for the sort of OCPD those circuits should be designed for (assuming the end of cable Zs meets the disconnection limits).

The IET's on-site guide has a handy table of standard circuits (Table 7.1(i) in the book) and that give you the length limits for combinations of cable and OCPD. What is also useful is it also tells you why the limit was reached.

For example, for 4mm/1.5mm T&E and 32A MCB/RCBO radial the limit for type B no RCD is 28m with "zs" showing you it fails to meet disconnection times. But for type C/D breakers and no RCD it is not permitted and the "ad" tells you it exceeds the adiabatic limit. In the RCD cases the limit is 43m and that is down to voltage drop.

Personally I would design for the no-RCD case and treat the RCD only for additional protection (i.e. I assume the thermal/magnetic trip or a fuse is far more reliable than RCD electronics when lives might depend on things).

Reply to Protective conductor in T&E in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock