Discuss Pulling my hair out with this boiler! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My parents have just moved into a new build with an ideal S24 boiler.

They were complaining that the boiler was firing up randomly so I took a look.

I have completely re wired everything correctly (20 years experience, approved contractor) yet it still runs almost all the time.

It’s an S system with a weather compensation incorporated.

When the boiler is running at random there is nothing calling for heat. The only live at the boiler is the L terminal and SL2 (HW off). Also when it’s running at random there’s not always a flame on the display.

Could it be the weather compensation protecting the boiler? I’ve called ideal technical twice and even they couldn’t answer me.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael

Mine kicks in regularly when the weather compensation is switched on. It runs the pump to circulate water and assess temperature I think. It's a Worcester but will probably be similar idea. And as you say, the boiler doesnt actually fire.

I just disabled the compensation. Couldn't really see a huge benefit to it.

Mine kicks in regularly when the weather compensation is switched on. It runs the pump to circulate water and assess temperature I think. It's a Worcester but will probably be similar idea. And as you say, the boiler doesnt actually fire.

I just disabled the compensation. Couldn't really see a huge benefit to it.
Hi mate,

Thank you for the reply.

Did you manually removed the compensation or was there a setting in the boilers program?

It’s a council house and the plumber never explained anything to anyone.

Thanks,

Hi mate,

Thank you for the reply.

Did you manually removed the compensation or was there a setting in the boilers program?

It’s a council house and the plumber never explained anything to anyone.

Thanks,

It's a setting in the Android app on mine. Not sure if it can be done from the thermostat. Try downloading a manual from the manufacturers site maybe.

The ideal boilers have a built in frost protection, is an f displayed?
Could it be sometimes when you see it, the boiler is over running after being on?

The easiest way to disable the weather compensation if it's installed would be to disconnect it.

If you have got one installed though it could be the wiring needs changing to suit. There's a separate call for water and room heating as weather comp only applies to room heating and should just adjust the flow temps. I don't know why it would randomly fire up because of that though.

Last edited:
I believe Worcester Bosch boilers also have a pump to mix the water even when the programmer is off.

When we drained down static caravans for the winter, we were told to get the customers to leave power on. The pump runs randomly, just to agitate any sediment that might settle in the bottom of radiators.

I believe Worcester Bosch boilers also have a pump to mix the water even when the programmer is off.

When we drained down static caravans for the winter, we were told to get the customers to leave power on. The pump runs randomly, just to agitate any sediment that might settle in the bottom of radiators.

They do. But it sounds like the OPs boiler is doing it a lot more often than that.

I still think it might be the compensation - it was very annoying when mine was doing it.

I think the pump running is just a test/exercise function so they don't stick and they can fire up if it's too cold.
I have recently installed an Ideal boiler but it's the conventional type with a remote pump and I don't use any open therm or whether compensation, It seems to work well. I don't see why the boiler would need to run more for the weather compensation (although I don't doubt it could be the problem), doesn't it just adjust the flow temperature setting based on the temperature difference to the setpoint and outside probe to compensate for the additional thermal loss?

I think the pump running is just a test/exercise function so they don't stick and they can fire up if it's too cold.
I have recently installed an Ideal boiler but it's the conventional type with a remote pump and I don't use any open therm or whether compensation, It seems to work well. I don't see why the boiler would need to run more for the weather compensation (although I don't doubt it could be the problem), doesn't it just adjust the flow temperature setting based on the temperature difference to the setpoint and outside probe to compensate for the additional thermal loss?

It doesn't run as such. It doesn't fire, just the pump running intermittently.

Reply to Pulling my hair out with this boiler! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net