Discuss Put me out of my misery! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Please help!
I am in my early 40s and employed full time not in the electrical industry.
I have done a number of years part time as an electrical labourer.
I am in the second year of a three year 2330 college course (1 day a week) Unfortunately I have many questions on what happens when I finish College next year.
Do I need a further course to be able to Test and Inspect?
I am leaning towards domestic work so will I be able and qualified to start work immediately?If not what should I do?
What bodies should I join and what cards/tickets do I need to work legally?
Sorry it's so long winded,I just can't seem to get a definitive answer!

Thanks in advance

Gerry

well if you want to be fully qualified according to most colleges you will need to have the following

2330 level 2 & 3
2382 17th edition
nvq3
2391 inspection and testing

then in there eyes you are a electrician, who is competant working in domestic commercial and industrial.

but in the real world its slightly different, if you decide you want to work for yourself doing domestic work you could take your 17th edition asap apply to a scheme like napit nic etc, they will then arrange a morning assesment for you where you have to show them 2 jobs you have done one small one large....if you pass that assesment you are then a registered domestic spark through that scheme.

now inspection and testing..... you dont have to have a qualification in inspection and testing to test, but you do need to prove yourself to be competant, and the best way is to do your 2391.

now if you did join one of the above schemes they will asses you on your testing ability and if you pass you will beable to sign your own work off and issue certs.

but only your own work, you will not be able to test other sparks work.

hope that helps some

the nvq level 3 is a onsight based assesment, you have 9 sections and you have to cover the nine sections 3 times, tbh mate its a load of crap.

you have to take pictures of the work you have done right a report up about its etc etc, its really all about health and safety.

if you want to go on your own you dont need it, if you want your jib gold card then you need to have it.

think prices range from £500-£1000 depending on which college you go through

Bahco

if your going to offer advice make sure its correct, there are not 9 sections ( units ) there are 8 and you do not have to do them 3 times, you need to show your assessor you can do the job and that does not have to be 3 times.

It not all about health and Safety, you seem to have forgotten the units on testing, fault finding, 1st and 2nd fix to name just 4.

Finally you dont have to use a college, you can use a private training provider, so before you say its crap get your facts right.

No wonder you thought it was crap, based on your knowledge you didnt do the NVQ

Nuff said

my bad there are 8 sections not 9 typing error.

so lets just set a few things straight smart arse.... my tutor told me you have to cover each sections 3 times.... i didnt because my am2 made up part of my nvq.

so i am passing on what my tutor told me...if thats wrong then i will take it up with my tutor.

a lot of the nvq is all based on health and safety, safe isolation ppe... of course there are other parts to it, but im not in my own in thinking its crap... just read posts on this forum and see what other people think of it?

you dont know me and you dont know my knowledge.

[hi gents
i did an nvq in refrigeration level 2 and we had variable times to do tasks some twice and some thrice.

This was all very annoying until i was told that once was for portfolio, 2nd for college and third for external verifier ???

comments ??

i agree, three times a lady, a bit of a nuisance really

nice one
but i do not thiink our verifer was a lady a bit gruff of course may have been an ex russian shot putter in drag
drag on that what the course was took 4 years to get it all signed off

struggling at the moment with 2391-20 questions some of the questions are not related to the course books ie electricity at work memorandunm but we are suppoosed to know that and all the latest building regs as well

cheers

Bahco, like you say I dont know you and you dont know MY knowledge either.

I have completed the NVQ, and like you say many people think its a load of crap, but dont disrespect my qualification, I did my work, I earned my qualification.

I had my assessor visit me on site 3 times and many of the people who tell me that its crap are worried about being assessed, they dont like the idea of an assessor looking at them on site and asking them questions, may be those who think its crap are just not very good at there work.

Finally the NVQ is not about writing a report, its about being competent in the eyes of your assessor, there is nothing in the NVQ standard that says your having to write a portfolio, its the way most centres have chosen to run the qualification.

nice one
but i do not thiink our verifer was a lady a bit gruff of course may have been an ex russian shot putter in drag
drag on that what the course was took 4 years to get it all signed off

struggling at the moment with 2391-20 questions some of the questions are not related to the course books ie electricity at work memorandunm but we are suppoosed to know that and all the latest building regs as well

cheers

Sorry to say but the Electricity at Work memorandum is related to the course as carrying out any electrical work these Regulations must be complied with and by working to the 17th Edition so you are complying with the EAWR.

Reply to Put me out of my misery! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock