Discuss PV and not and RCD protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bsharp

-
Reaction score
Had a customer ask for RCD to be changed to Type A as he has had a company install a PV unit which they have left with the spur switched off as new regulations state that PV units must have a type A RCD 🤔. Has anybody else had this situation??

As mentioned above, If PV is connected to a shared RCD or a spur off an RCBO protected circuit that serves other things, then a unique situation arises where the RCD/RCBO might meet disconnection times but the PV back-fed supply can be present for longer than those disconnection times making the additional protection unreliable/non-compliant.
The PV inverter is obliged to turn off if there is no incoming supply, for safety, but it can take up to 1/2 a second to do this. So how it is connected needs careful consideration which it doesn't sound like has happened.

PV should not be connected to a spur at all.
It should be connected to its own dedicated way at the CU and not be connected to an RCD which protects any other circuits.
Hi Dave thanks for the reply, my original post was slightly vague and in all honesty a little misleading, but this is the message I received for the “PV” installer via the client.
In actual fact what has been installed is a PIV unit (Envirovent to be precise) I can only presume that the installer has PV (photovoltaics) and PIV (positive input ventilation) regulations confused because as I thought exactly the same as yourself.

Correct James.
I am always correct,
no,
I am nearly always correct,
hmmm, no,

I am often correct, this could be possible unless I am in discussion with my wife.
I think it best that I consider myself WRONG until I get confirmation from her that wears the trousers as to either how wrong I am or that I might be right on this occasion.

Hi Dave thanks for the reply, my original post was slightly vague and in all honesty a little misleading, but this is the message I received for the “PV” installer via the client.
In actual fact what has been installed is a PIV unit (Envirovent to be precise) I can only presume that the installer has PV (photovoltaics) and PIV (positive input ventilation) regulations confused because as I thought exactly the same as yourself.

So generally speaking the PIV unit requires NO RCD at all.
Of course this is BS in most applications because the cable supplying it may need it, however not always.
I think the installer needs a little education and i don't mean 10 minutes on you tube!!

I am always correct,
no,
I am nearly always correct,
hmmm, no,

I am often correct, this could be possible unless I am in discussion with my wife.
I think it best that I consider myself WRONG until I get confirmation from her that wears the trousers as to either how wrong I am or that I might be right on this occasion.

So generally speaking the PIV unit requires NO RCD at all.
Of course this is BS in most applications because the cable supplying it may need it, however not always.
I think the installer needs a little education and i don't mean 10 minutes on you tube!!
Unbelievable isn’t it!! Looks like I’ll h e an awkward phone call tomorrow attempting to educate whoever on the correct terminology and usage of RCDs, can’t wait 🤣🤣.

unless this is a big organisation or a seasoned spark that should know better (I know we all should know better)
don't be to hard on them, remember when you first started out?
There were things that you got wrong and a word from a more educated or time served spark would point you in the right direction.
of course if arrogant or know it all then give both barrels!!!

unless this is a big organisation or a seasoned spark that should know better (I know we all should know better)
There were things that you got wrong and a word from a more educated or time served spark would point you in the right direction.
100% agree on both points.

Nothing wrong with complying with what is a simple request. So long as you can get a compatible RCBO. I have just rewired a couple of flats (complete refurb) and PV was installed. The installer insisted I supply SPD as he can't sign off his work without it. I did think well put one in then it's your job do it completely. However those employing my services were willing to pay me to do it so I did it as it was just an hour if that and the cost of the SPD. First I have heard of this?

Just had word off client it turns out it is actually Envirovent who installed the PIV. So a fairly big organisation me thinks.
To be fair I could just got the RCD as requested but don’t like charging customers for works not required.

Nothing wrong with complying with what is a simple request. So long as you can get a compatible RCBO. I have just rewired a couple of flats (complete refurb) and PV was installed. The installer insisted I supply SPD as he can't sign off his work without it. I did think well put one in then it's your job do it completely. However those employing my services were willing to pay me to do it so I did it as it was just an hour if that and the cost of the SPD. First I have heard of this?
Thanks for reply appreciated 👍This is actually a PIV unit (poss pressure ventilation) I think that’s where the confusion has arisen. Surely SPD should be installed anyway on complete rewire?

Not on my watch if I can possibly avoid an SPD. Really, Anyway never mind about that. The fact is if you put it to the client and they refuse then no, unless it is HMO or valuables etc. PIV, ok, if they think that A type is required does this mean they are worried about D.C. leakage? And, if so, why did they not do it as part of the job. A bit rich doing the install knowing this and then not switching on as the installation is not compliant! If they knew that they should have made it clear up front. This is a very underhand practice.
Anyhow, the work is required as they will not commission without it. Let the customer challenge this approach to business. Take it to trading standards. Technically, they have installed a non-compliant (regs wise) installation, by their own mouths!

Last edited:

Reply to PV and not and RCD protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net