Discuss Pvc T& E don’t use it outdoors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Recently many arguments about the deterioration of pvc T&E when clipped outside.
Years ago that’s all we ever did,& had no problem with it.
Tell me all the wise guys on the block,does it also apply to pvc co - axial, & shotgun cabling,clipped roughly across doorways.over roof’s & any where else.

Recently many arguments about the deterioration of pvc T&E when clipped outside.
Tell me all the wise guys on the block,does it also apply to pvc co - axial, & shotgun cabling,clipped roughly across doorways.over roof’s & any where else.
These cables are usually black and made from a different material than bog standard T/E sheath. they don't go brittle after long term exposure to sunlight.

As telectrix pointed out, the typical coax, etc, are designed for ourdoor use and have UV stabilisers added to the sheath material. Like the black cable ties that last, not the pale ones that go brittle outside.

I have come across black rubber clipped direct outside a house which goes completely brittle and disintergrates when touched, but probably 40 years old.
have Never come across modern twin and earth outside which has gone brittle to the point of falling apart. A bit stiff yes but not crumbly...

I have come across black rubber clipped direct outside a house which goes completely brittle and disintergrates when touched, but probably 40 years old.
have Never come across modern twin and earth outside which has gone brittle to the point of falling apart. A bit stiff yes but not crumbly...

Rubber cable sheaths now are a different kind of rubber to what they were in those days.

I've seen most kinds of cables damaged by being exposed to the elements, especially sunlight.
I think the worst I've seen for disintegrating is BT cable or network cables.

I think all plastic or rubber sheathed cables will degrade in sunlight eventually, it's just a question of how long they will take.

I only use H05 flex exposed to join to luminaries like spike lights and floodlights. ANy other cabling I run in conduit. I would never stick T&E on the outside of a building. It obviously degrades and is vulnerable to damage left exposed.

If you go to places like Greece and Spain you will see loads of surface clipped white flex around buildings & houses (Mothers old washing line fashion).
this stuff is out in the hot sun year after year just hanging there.
sometimes it’s painted over when the exterior walls get a white wash.

If you go to places like Greece and Spain you will see loads of surface clipped white flex around buildings & houses (Mothers old washing line fashion).
Those countries have their own sets of rules and regulations though DD don't they?

Yes you do, although it's not usually flex, it's their general purpose installation cable which is kind of equivalent in its use to our T&E. It's a round white sheathed cable with solid or coarse stranded cores.

Yes they do install it outside in the baking Sun, the outer sheath is a different material to the outer sheath of T&E.

Agreed. I, m sure it must deteriorate overtime as we are no longer allowed to use it. But over how much time.? The DSO, s main supply in old urban areas is all T&e clipped. It's nearly all exposed to sunlight. I have never seen any damage or noticed any of it been replaced (except for a meter relocation or an I creased supply)

I have to say I'm surprised by this thread, I've seen an awful lot of degraded insulation on pvc T/E exposed to UV radiation over the years. It's a sound regulation IMO, T/E is not suitable for exposure to sunlight.

I have to say I'm surprised by this thread, I've seen an awful lot of degraded insulation on pvc T/E exposed to UV radiation over the years. It's a sound regulation IMO, T/E is not suitable for exposure to sunlight.
No quibbles with the regulation. Question I posed was how long it takes to deteriorate. Perhaps its where I live. We have neither extremes of heat or cold. I can only comment on what I observe. I have yet to see visible deterioration.

No quibbles with the regulation. Question I posed was how long it takes to deteriorate. Perhaps its where I live. We have neither extremes of heat or cold. I can only comment on what I observe. I have yet to see visible deterioration.

Depends on how exposed it is to sunlight also.

Depends on how exposed it is to sunlight also.
Of course. And that makes complete sense. But, here's what I ask myself as I look at the electrical industry. Is the UV effect on pvc cable the most pressing issue of safety facing us right now? As you know from my previous posts, I see areas (as I appreciate you do) where there are much more serious issues

Of course. And that makes complete sense. But, here's what I ask myself as I look at the electrical industry. Is the UV effect on pvc cable the most pressing issue of safety facing us right now? As you know from my previous posts, I see areas (as I appreciate you do) where there are much more serious issues

There are obviously more serious issues yes, but deteriorating insulation is pretty important.

Reply to Pvc T& E don’t use it outdoors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock