Currently reading:
Pyro Cable

Discuss Pyro Cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R1CH-G

Just a bit of history first. The following occurred in what is classed as a bunker in the military sense of the word, and all works were carried out to JSP military regs.

Cable used was 2H10 orange sheathed pyro (low smoke zero halides). Cables was potted and glanded and insulation resistance readings taken (500 volts on Fluke 1652) and came back at >500 MegOhms. This cable sat there happily for over 4 months until I got a call saying the DB had gone bang!!

On inspection, the pot was blown to bits! The only thing I can put this down to was dodgy compound and tracking.

Anyone out there who could suggest any alternatives, because for the life of me, I can't work this one out!

You wouldn't be the first to experience, what you call ''Dodgy Compound'' lol!!! Can also be old compound that's been on the shelve, past it's sell-by date. The only other thing i can think of in your case is moisture, but i would imagine the length you stripped back for a CU connection, the >500 meg and 4 months in service would justifiably nullify that possibility. ...lol!!!

You wouldn't be the first to experience, what you call ''Dodgy Compound'' lol!!! Can also be old compound that's been on the shelve, past it's sell-by date. The only other thing i can think of in your case is moisture, but i would imagine the length you stripped back for a CU connection, the >500 meg and 4 months in service would justifiably nullify that possibility. ...lol!!!

Like I said, it's got me baffled. Only thing I could think of was dodgy compound. I wouldn't imagine that 2H10 pyro exactly flies off the shelves!

Joint Services Publications. JSP 375 Vol 3 Chapter 3 Electrical...

But as far as I remember they always stated IAW BS7671 so how the cable was installed badly I don't know?

The cable wasn't installed badly - I know, I installed it!! ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the IAW bit though. I didn't know that.

Joint Services Publications. JSP 375 Vol 3 Chapter 3 Electrical...

But as far as I remember they always stated IAW BS7671 so how the cable was installed badly I don't know?

Thanks, knew it was Joint Services something........ Would these be the same clowns who hold Service Records and send Emails saying you're sacked?

The JSP's only came out in about 2006 and the electrical sections were based mostly around BS7671 where they actually quoted the specific regs, then as the regs got updated it started changing to IAW.

Before then it was SRP's (Safety Rules and Procedures) for which each service had their own set.(Navy, RAF and Army)

Only time I've seen this happen the pot had not been completely filled with compound at the time the only reason I could suggest was condensation had formed in the air pocket thus causing a short

Reply to Pyro Cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock