Discuss Qualification Route in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Faithful

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not an electrcian, but am competant and have carried out my own electrics/family/friends for years safely.

I am now looking to gain these qualifications that I saw in a recent post about EICR:

QCF Level 3 18th Edition Qualification plus a QCF level 3 Qualification in Periodic Inspection and Testing e.g 2391 or 2395

I want to be able to carry our my own EICR's PAT testing in accordance with the law and be qualified and registered to do so.

What is the quickest way to achive this?

Any help appreciated, as after a lot of searching there seems to be a hundreds of online routes. Thanks

Hi,

I am not an electrcian, but am competant and have carried out my own electrics/family/friends for years safely.

I am now looking to gain these qualifications that I saw in a recent post about EICR:

QCF Level 3 18th Edition Qualification plus a QCF level 3 Qualification in Periodic Inspection and Testing e.g 2391 or 2395

I want to be able to carry our my own EICR's PAT testing in accordance with the law and be qualified and registered to do so.

What is the quickest way to achive this?

Any help appreciated, as after a lot of searching there seems to be a hundreds of online routes. Thanks
You need a level 3 qualification (i only know of EAL and City and Guilds), inspection and testing, BS7671 18th edition, AM2 exam and NVQ level 3 to be 'fully qualified'. Even then you will not be able to sign off work without joining up to a qualified persons scheme at 500+ quid a year. Not sure if you will be able to do EICR's without but i'm presuming not.

You don't need any qualifications to actually carry out electrical work you just need to be 'competent' but signing stuff off is another matter completely.

as you are, you can produce certificates for all work done. onlyhurdle is for notifiable works where you either have to pay BC a fat fee or join a scam (e.g. niceic). for this you will need some paper quals. and a couple of jobs for assessment. having said that, not notifying has never been prosecuted unless something goes wrong. still be a safer install than bodge-it Dave from the pub.

if your looking for training the city & guilds route will be longer but very informative and cover all the different aspects of electrical engineering and theory. Personally without a deep understanding of electrical theory, building regs a - f, bs7671 - inspectors course and a host more of guidance notes you wouldn’t be ‘competent’ to perform a EICR. After many years working on sites I still come across situations which I need to research/check to make sure they meet the relevant criteria, without that knowledge I wouldn’t even know that those items needed more research. My training was 3.5 years on a 1 day a week course - well worth it

Reply to Qualification Route in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net