Discuss RCBO energy consumption in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
RCBOs consume between 1.5 and 2.5 watts for each pole - according to Wylex. Have a CU with largish bank of DP RCBOs then the annual cost of just having RCBOs is substantial. It is not just a few quid a year in electricity costs to have them. My question is:

Do RCBOs still consume electricity when switched off?

Last edited:
Wylex specs says full load losses are 1.5 to 2.6 watts per pole. DP is twice the load of SP. You must have noticed RCBOs are warm all the time, even when there is no load running through them. This also makes the insides of a metal CU case warmer. I assume the 1.5 watts is no load energy consumption,

Last edited:
Mostly that is the thermal trip and/or contact resistance so depends I^2 I suspect and so a tiny fraction of the load causing it.

Don't have a spare to measure the actual off-load draw.

Just fondled the front of my own RCBO board (also Wylex) and they are barely warmer to the touch than the main switch of SPD.

Mine are Wylex a being warm to the touch. Not hot, just warm. Warmer than the surrounding ambient. You need to take the front panel off to touch them. That they consume energy is not in dispute. They do. It is whether they still comnsume energy when they are switched off it what I want to know.

Mine are Wylex a being warm to the touch. Not hot, just warm. Warmer than the surrounding ambient. You need to take the front panel off to touch them. That they consume energy is not in dispute. They do. It is whether they still comnsume energy when they are switched off it what I want to know.
Not while trying to watch the TV!

Maybe they do give rise to small losses, but I think 'substantial' would be rather overstating the annual cost involved, regardless of how many ways a board might contain.

On a wider note, MODEMs, TVs, Sound Bars, neon lights, Oven LED clocks, etc, combined with DP RCBO losses are substantial over a year.

With say 15 DP RCBOs averaging 4W over a year, that is the equiv of having 15 LED 4W lamps on 24/7/365.
As I said: do they consume zero when manually switched off?

RCBOs consume between 1.5 and 2.5 watts for each pole - according to Wylex. Have a CU with largish bank of DP RCBOs then the annual cost of just having RCBOs is substantial. It is not just a few quid a year in electricity costs to have them. My question is:

Do RCBOs still consume electricity when switched off?
Over what period of time? per hour it adds up quite significantly over a year but if it is per year it is relatively nothing in terms of overall electric use

On a wider note, MODEMs, TVs, Sound Bars, neon lights, Oven LED clocks, etc, combined with DP RCBO losses are substantial over a year.

With say 15 DP RCBOs averaging 4W over a year, that is the equiv of having 15 LED 4W lamps on 24/7/365.
As I said: do they consume zero when manually switched off?
I'm in the habit of switching everything off that isn't being used, but can't imagine switching off breakers for this reason.

Your question is quite reasonable, but I can't imagine that an empirical answer would be likely to change my behaviour.

Your question is quite reasonable, but I can't imagine that an empirical answer would be likely to change my behaviour.
I want to know how they work.
Going further, for e,g., if someone is going on a month or twos hols, turning off the not used RCBOs, leaving only the alarm and fridge circuits, may make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RCBO energy consumption in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net