Discuss RCBO Tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, looked over the forums and on google couldn’t find much Info.

I have a consumer unit where the sockets, cooker and shower are protected by an RCBO.

I had to replace to sockets with ones that have built in USB. So switched off the MCB for sockets (as you would) I would have switched of the mains but the missis was roaring a joint.

When I removed the existing socket I accidentally touched the nuetral and earth cable together. But didn’t think anything of it untill two hours later when the missis noticed the oven was off.

Some How the RCBO had been tripped.

So I reset everything. Switched the sockets mcb to off and replicated the earth and neutral touching and sure enough it tripped the RCBO.

Why would this happen if the MCB was switched off?

I’m asking to double check that this shouldn’t happen and there may be a fault along the lines somewhere?

Or should it happen?
And before anyone says “your not a sparky, don’t be playing with electrics” I was only changing a socket face plate it’s no big deal I’ve done it literally thousands of times in my life but never experienced this.

Hi all, new here, looked over the forums and on google couldn’t find much Info.

I have a consumer unit where the sockets, cooker and shower are protected by an RCBO.

I had to replace to sockets with ones that have built in USB. So switched off the MCB for sockets (as you would) I would have switched of the mains but the missis was roaring a joint.

When I removed the existing socket I accidentally touched the nuetral and earth cable together. But didn’t think anything of it untill two hours later when the missis noticed the oven was off.

Some How the RCBO had been tripped.

So I reset everything. Switched the sockets mcb to off and replicated the earth and neutral touching and sure enough it tripped the RCBO.

Why would this happen if the MCB was switched off?

I’m asking to double check that this shouldn’t happen and there may be a fault along the lines somewhere?

Or should it happen?
And before anyone says “your not a sparky, don’t be playing with electrics” I was only changing a socket face plate it’s no big deal I’ve done it literally thousands of times in my life but never experienced this.
Looks like you accidentally instigated a N.E fault which would Trip the RCD

Looks like you accidentally instigated a N.E fault which would Trip the RCD
And this will definitely happen when the MCB is switched off?

I’m wondering then , about a year ago I do remember the misses changing a light fitting and she called me up from work and the RCBO had tripped. But the light circuit isn’t on the RCBO side

hoops , not again ..:p

First of all, it’s an RCD, which covers a number of circuits each with its own mcb.
An RCBO is an rcd and mcb combined.

Second. An mcb only disconnects the live, where the rcd is detecting an earth fault on the live AND the neutral, the neutral still being connected when the live is off.

I just had a dumb moment and thought your missus was ROLLING a joint, not roasting.

So, back to the rcd... it will trip off on a neutral - earth short as well as a live to earth.

Thank u all set my mind to rest. RCBO RCD MCB if I knew it was a rcd not a RCBO then I might not be here asking the above question. thank you anyway and thanks for educating.

[QUOTE="buzzlightyear, post: 1552599, member:[/QUOTE]
Just didn’t know the reference of the popcorn and the going to prison

electdickarty you cant smell it ,unless some body gets hurt ,has for gas you can smell it if the chicken is cooked .lol.:)

electdickarty you cant smell it ,unless some body gets hurt ,has for gas you can smell it if the chicken is cooked .lol.:)

You don’t smell gas, actually, Buzz.... the smell is artificial and is added to gas so you know if it’s leaking.

When it comes to calor gas cylinders, when it’s really smelly, then you know the cylinder is empty of gas, not as most people would think, more smell equals more gas

Your missus smoking joints while your working hard. Doesn't sound fair to me

You don’t smell gas, actually, Buzz.... the smell is artificial and is added to gas so you know if it’s leaking out of some body
my my little spark I did not know you are a connoisseur of gas, I bet you could smell it from 20yards when people pass wind . :p

my my little spark I did not know you are a connoisseur of gas, I bet you could smell it from 20yards when people pass wind . :p

You pick up a few little tips from working on a caravan site for a decade. Like it seems acceptable to be smoking a cig while working on a “live” gas pipe.... the supposed gas safe engineer we employed always did

You pick up a few little tips from working on a caravan site for a decade. Like it seems acceptable to be smoking a cig while working on a “live” gas pipe.... the supposed gas safe engineer we employed always did
and if he's still alive????? a lit smoke is a good indication of a gas leak. it glows brighter.

Reply to RCBO Tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock