Discuss Rcd discrimination on circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I’m installing some caravan boxes with 32A socket which is protected by 32A 30ma RCBO inside the box and then plug and play 32A socket inside the caravan to consumer unit which has main switch and RCD circuits can some on explain the discrimination please?

Why do you need a RCD in the CU if there is one in the caravan box?
Can you not change the RCD in the CU for an isolator?

There isn't a way of assuring Selectivity (discrimination) in this case. One or other or both RCDs could operate if there is a fault. However it will provide redundancy.

You have to consider them as separate systems and try to maintain discrimination within each system. As both require 30ma rcd protection you are going to compromise discrimination when they come together, not much you can do about it.

You could look at it the other way and say discrimination between the two systems is not relevant as they are electrically separate until they come together.

And some sparks do this on purpose saying its safer!
As I say, it does provide redundancy so you could argue that technically that is safer. Ask yourself if there is any danger with the lack of selectivity here - does it actually matter which device operates (or whether both do), and realistically it doesn't.

Reply to Rcd discrimination on circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hi all come across a new build commercial office where radial circuits feeding electrak power track was protected by 32A RCBO at dist board and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m at a job on a grade 2 listed property with 5 different single phase distribution boards, the client wants sockets moved to new locations...
Replies
Views
For context i am in my 2nd year in college and my head is going round in circles a question in my project for which i need to select the right...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, I have 7 static caravans to connect which need to be connected via TT 1. All the vans have a 30ma RCD main switch internally...
Replies
Views
So here is the thing Rhere is an old MEMSHIELD TPN+E Board that is pretty mich obsolete. The only place that sells their breakers would be Ebay...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock