Discuss RCD fed from another RCD help? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have 2 X RCDs
RCD 1
RCD 2
So a breakdown, incomer comes straight to supply of RCD 1, load side of 1 feeds some terminals which then fees individual MCBs for outgoing circuits as well as supply for RCD 2 from the same terminals, load side of RCD 2 then goes to another panel, now both of these are 60947-2 with bolt on 61008, now RCD 1 trips under RCD test but RCD 2 won’t even trip from load side, any ideas there’s a green light lit up but the test button on the MCCB trips but the added bolt on 61008 doesn’t?

There may be more to this than Words can explain. As requested above, photos please, especially clear ones of the RCDs.

The only pic I got, so RCD on left goes to some terminals from load side to feed circuits on that RCD and feed top of RCD on the right but the little test button doesn’t work on RCD on right but left one is working perfect fine there is MCCB test button and test for the Vigi settings MCCB work on both but RCD on right doesn’t work on the Vigi settings test button

RCD fed from another RCD help? 9AFD746A-84A0-4F41-BB5C-DA3916B2E4B1 - EletriciansForums.net

Have you tried swapping the modules around?

The little green led doesn't look lit is that just the angle?

I'm not familiar with ABB kit but it looks like the bolt on unit on the right is not powered up, no green LED lit up???

You can switch them on/off with the grey dial at the bottom now I’ve done this aswell, and yes your right there’s a little green light that’s meant to light up on the second one you can’t see if from picture but it is lit up but only faintly

Swap them around. That would be my next thing to do.

That would highlight something either way.

Edit - sorry if you say you have swapped them around already just hard to make out from your reply.

If there is power going into the RCD on the right, but it doesn’t trip with the test button then it needs replacing. What happens with a PROPER RCD test?

The RCDs have variable parameters. Both appear to be set to around 30mA. The time in the left seems to be around 100mSec, the right hand one is set to less, which should provide discrimination.
These can only be set up properly with ramp and other tests using an RCD tester.

If there is power going into the RCD on the right, but it doesn’t trip with the test button then it needs replacing. What happens with a PROPER RCD test?

The RCDs have variable parameters. Both appear to be set to around 30mA. The time in the left seems to be around 100mSec, the right hand one is set to less, which should provide discrimination.
These can only be set up properly with ramp and other tests using an RCD tester.
Which picture you looking at? There 0.3 which is 300mA and they haven’t been set yet, I’m just not sure to why the first RCD is feeding the 2nd RCD when both can be fed from the incoming terminals each, then the circuits on the 1st RCD if there’s a problem won’t take out RCD 2 aswell

Reply to RCD fed from another RCD help? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock