Discuss RCD protect Forklift? Yes or No? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Weezy

-
Reaction score
The Job:
We are going to wire a forklift point in 6mm swa surface wiring inside a warehouse.

It’s a 3Phase forklift point 32amp.

Wired from a 3phase eton C32 MCB.
Will surface clip swa along existing cable tray down to a rotary isolator and 32amp commando outlet.

Jobs pretty simple however i can’t decide if this should be rcd protected?

Reg: 411.3.3 States socket outlets need rcd protection, but it doesn’t clarify if a commando outlet is classed as a socket or whether this is referring to regular domestic socket outlets.

Reg: 411.3.3 states circuits supplying mobile equipment not exceeding 32 amps needs a rcd, which i would think a forklift is a piece of mobile equipment... Is there any clarification on what is ‘mobile’?

In the section for ‘rcd omissions’ it talks about cables on the surface not needing rcd protection and in non-domestic cases sockets outlets can be omitted through risk assessment.

Also during my 18th edition update the lecturer mentioned that if swa is used in its full length from point A to point B then no rcd protection is needed.

I’m left wondering what regs override each other. I’m interested to know what you guys normally do.

*note ‘95%’ of the existing electrics in this warehouse have no rcd protection*

im not sure you would reasonably consider a fork lift charger to be mobile equipment. it's big, heavy and not normally moved around.
however, I have fitted flt chargers with both rcd and non rcd supplies in the past and not had problems with tripping the breaker.
I would strongly recommend that you over spec the supply cable and use a type D breaker as they have massive surge currents when started.

A 32 amp commando socket is just that , a socket which will require additional protection unless you omit the additional protection by providing a documented risk assessment.
Or install an isolator instead unless it’s providing mobile equipment outdoors upto 32amps.

Mobile is exactly that...... equipment that can be moved around

A 32 amp commando socket is just that , a socket which will require additional protection unless you omit the additional protection by providing a documented risk assessment.
Or install an isolator instead unless it’s providing mobile equipment outdoors upto 32amps.

Mobile is exactly that...... equipment that can be moved around

In that case, instead of supplying a rotary isolator and separate commando socket, i could do away with both of them and buy one of these: 3 phase 16A or 32A 5 Pin CEE,RCD Protected Red Socket.Hook Up.Distribution board | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F251559291581
Using the RCD in place of the rotary isolator.

If the fork lift charger were to be hard wired yes you are installing a fork lift charger. You are installing a socket which could be used for any purpose.

If the fork lift charger were to be hard wired yes you are installing a fork lift charger. You are installing a socket which could be used for any purpose.

Alright, yea i see your point, so are you saying you would fit an rcd, even being inside a warehouse industrial environment wired in swa clipped direct/ surface wiring?

im not sure you would reasonably consider a fork lift charger to be mobile equipment. it's big, heavy and not normally moved around.
however, I have fitted flt chargers with both rcd and non rcd supplies in the past and not had problems with tripping the breaker.
I would strongly recommend that you over spec the supply cable and use a type D breaker as they have massive surge currents when started.

Have you ever used one of these? 3 phase 16A or 32A 5 Pin CEE,RCD Protected Red Socket.Hook Up.Distribution board | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F251559291581

Alright, yea i see your point, so are you saying you would fit an rcd, even being inside a warehouse industrial environment wired in swa clipped direct/ surface wiring?
Just install it like the picture you uploaded in the link, rcd and socket combo.
The wiring to it doesn’t require additional protection if your installing swa

If you are installing a socket to plug the charger into, then you would need either a 63A socket, or a risk assessment that concludes RCD protection is not required.

Just install it like the picture you uploaded in the link, rcd and socket combo.
The wiring to it doesn’t require additional protection if your installing swa

I would have no rotary isolator though so the switching would happen via the 40a rcd, I cant see that being an issue surely, i think i’m over thinking things.
Like i say iv never seen a charger before in all honesty i would have thought the charger has a switch on it as well.

What does the charger manufacturer state about RCD protection and the type of RCD to be used?

Also check with manufacturers instructions for the charging kit, may also need to be an A type RCD

I like that, no overload protection so you are free to fit your own back at the board.
I have known 16A chargers take out 32A type C breakers. Check the instructions for the charger but I expect type D will be required.

Reply to RCD protect Forklift? Yes or No? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock