Discuss Reason for high electrical field values ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Danny94

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I got hands to a EMF meter (emf-390 v2).
I walked around in our house and noticed almost everywhere high electrical fields of 50v/m+.

I have noticed power strips have exremly high values of 999v/m+ which are still measurable few meters with over 50v/m.
Even if the switch from the power strip is off i recieve the same high value (check attachment)

On power strips i have removed the annoying neon lamps i noticed even higher values when switched off instead of on.

Not just power strips cause high electrical fields, but als devices (turned off/on) or wiring inside walls...

Our house/power is not earthed, could that be a reason for such high values.
Or what else could be the reason ?

Attachments

• Reason for high electrical field values ? IMG_20221130_222948 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20221130_222948.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Reason for high electrical field values ? IMG_20221130_223008 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20221130_223008.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 6
Your house is not earthed? As in you have no earth connection to your house? What do you mean by that

I strongly recommend you get an electrician to investigate and rectify this ASAP
Yeah this is a big problem we have since the house was built 50 years ago. It was impossible to setup earthing/grounding because the whole house is build on rock.
But i have talked to our electrician last month and we want to try setup grounding strap across the small street infront of the house (only place where we have not rock and is just filled with 1-2 meter earth), but for the future we have planned to add tar on top of the street which makes the grounding strap might useless again...
So we have no real idea at the moment how to solve this problem accurate honestly.

@MJPD29 i meaned grounding sorry. All of our devices are not attached to ground as the house has no grounding rod/strap installed.

Last edited:

Reply to Reason for high electrical field values ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock