Discuss Recommendations for domestic aircon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You stick the hose out of the window, but more importantly you have to manage the condensate as well, usually a tray at the bottom of the unit expertly designed to spill everywhere when you try to empty it. :eek:
The one on wheels I’ve just bought, just vents out the hot air. It has a separate dehumidifier function.

Venting out the hot air into the room you are trying to cool can't be the most efficient way, recirculating the air is fighting a battle with itself you can't argue with Physics. LOL. I bet the windows will be wet in the morning.
[automerge]1590596721[/automerge]
I’m tending to agree with mike here. Surely an off the shelf ac wall mounted unit is no different to a tower on wheels or tabletop variety. It’s only when you get into the split units you can have leaks caused by installation.
not much different to a fridge??

now another question.... are these generally plug in jobs or am I going to need a higher rated supply? 20A? 32A?
I know, depends on what she picks.

best bet would be to advise her to get a known brand.... Fujitsu, as suggested, or I remember the ones we had in the bar were panasonic

The split units I was talking about have two separate parts interconnected by pipework and cables, one mounted externally and one mounted internally, they are considerably different to a tower or table top unit.

They do tend to have an inrush current so need a suitable MCB or fuse unit.

Last edited:
I install a/c Fgas registered etc. In my view there are 3 types of a/c which could be used in this scenario. 1- Portable unit as mentioned, hot air is vented outside... a little noisy for a bedroom me thinks, would need to cool the room prior to going to bed and then turn it off.
2. Split unit for DIY install, these look like a regular split unit with seperate outdoor and indoor unit and have most of the facilities, the pipes are all pre-charged and you just make the connections similar to connecting an airline. You need some skill to install and tools to drill a hole circa 65mm through the wall and mount the outdoor unit to something substantial like a wall or solid base. You are limited to the pipe work that comes with the unit and if there is too much you have to hide the excess somewhere
3. Split, professionally installed. These, legally, must be installed by a Fgas installer. Pipework is bespoke to the install and additional gas may need to be added. The pipework is pressure tested with N , first to ensure there are no leaks, then the pipework is vacuumed to -1bar for a good period, this removes all air and moisture from the pipework to ensure top performation from the unit, then the gas is released into the pipework. MI's always state this method.
Hope this helps

With a tower or table top unit you have to stick the hose out of the window, but more importantly you have to manage the condensate as well, usually a tray at the bottom of the unit expertly designed to spill everywhere when you try to empty it. :eek:
So not in reality an A.C. more a DIY system how can you call it an A.C system when you have the window open to allow the pipework to exit the room.
Without being rude or un professional doing it this way is not really A/C is it? as you have an open window to allow the pipework an exit so you are cooling the room, but allowing unconditioned air back into the area.
Clearly with due respect to your electrical knowledge, you have very little appreciation of the Science of Air conditioning, which is a Science all of it's own. Please correct me if I have it wrong with evidence.

Pete... i have no experience of installing proper AC as you say.... but if the manufacturers can call these units air conditioning, then that is what the layman (my customer) calls it.

So not in reality an A.C. more a DIY system how can you call it an A.C system when you have the window open to allow the pipework to exit the room.
Without being rude or un professional doing it this way is not really A/C is it? as you have an open window to allow the pipework an exit so you are cooling the room, but allowing unconditioned air back into the area.
Clearly with due respect to your electrical knowledge, you have very little appreciation of the Science of Air conditioning, which is a Science all of it's own. Please correct me if I have it wrong with evidence.

The one from RS come supplied with a selection of plastic window boards that you use to put the hose through. It also happens to be a 5" hose so fits onto the vent needed for a real or gas fire if you have one. It's quite noisy but it's bloody cold and will drop the temperature incredibly quickly. No chance you could sleep with it on in a bedroom though !

Pete... i have no experience of installing proper AC as you say.... but if the manufacturers can call these units air conditioning, then that is what the layman (my customer) calls it.
Customer is always right. until it all goes ----- up Mate

The one on wheels I’ve just bought, just vents out the hot air. It has a separate dehumidifier function.
Venting out the hot air into the room you are trying to cool can't be the most efficient way, recirculating the air is fighting a battle with itself you can't argue with Physics. LOL. I bet the windows will be wet in the morning.

You don't say. :rolleyes:

Reply to Recommendations for domestic aircon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net