Discuss Regarding smart light fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can help, I have a light switch at the bottom of the stairs and it switches the light on at the top of the stairs. At the top of the stairs i have a light switch which is two gang for the top of the stairs and for the bathroom ( on the same switch). I understand I will need a smart switch that is two gang , one one way and one two way in the same switch. But I am having difficulty locating one so if anyone knows of such a switch for the top of the stairs I would be very grateful. I understand I shouldn’t need one for the bottom one. Also where I can purchase one too please

this may do the job. however, you may need to fit a deeper back box (25mm instead of 16mm).
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/energ...art-on-off-light-switch-polished-chrome/3447x

Christine
If you still want to use the switch at the bottom of the stairs alternately with the smart switch at the top, I believe you will need to change the bottom switch to a compatible smart switch as well.

Here is an example of a 2 gang 2-way switch that can connect directly to your wi-fi without a hub:
https://wifi-smart-home.co.uk/smart...wifi-smart-switch-no-neutral-white-pure-glass (I have no personal experience of this one)
But the details state that for 2-way switching the other switch involved also needs to be changed.
That is also true for another brand I looked at.

You mention 'one one way and one two way in the same switch', but you will no doubt have to purchase a 2 gang, 2 way switch. The bathroom will function fine using just a pair of contacts on the second switch.

Did you want to control both the bathroom light and the stairs light with Alexa? If just the stairs light, why not put the switch at the bottom (assuming a wi-fi non-hub 2-way no-neutral slim smart switch is found!)?

Last edited:

Reply to Regarding smart light fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net